How to share - Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac and back ...

Eagle
Eagle Member ✭✭
Just wondering if this is possible.
I am sorry for the length of this, but need to describe all the steps.
QWin is Quicken Windows,
QMac is Quicken Mac.
QXF is Quicken Transfer Format
QDF is Quicken Data File
My QWin is Q2020 subscription with my QID (Quicken ID). I am on a Win10 laptop.
QMac is a downloaded Mac version of Quicken using my original QID and installed on my wife's Mac.
I have read and understand all the warnings about two desktop versions of Q (QWin and QMac) sharing the same file. Warnings about networks, Dropbox, and the like.
Quicken has said that they do not support this.
Having said all that, is it possible to set something up?
Has anyone tried this?
My wife wants to be responsible any any changes to her checking and savings account which are part of my QDF. She is on the Mac and wants to be able to work with her bank accounts. She does not want to use my QWin. So, I need a way to tie the computers together.
Here is my proposed scenario.
My QWin is used to access the USBank for the downloaded transactions.
My original QDF is on QWin. I have used this for a lot of years.
We are not using Dropbox. This project will require some work on our part in the timing and scheduling of when we can work on Quicken. I do the AM shift, my wife will do the PM.
I plan to download and do my normal register work in Quicken, create a backup, and then export the QDF to a thumbdrive in QXF format. This file will then go to QMac. I will shut down QWin QDF and do not open the file until my wife is done with her work on the QMac.
QMac reads in the QXF from the thumbdrive. My wife creates a 'new' QDF on her QMac each time. She will do her register work. She will then do a backup on QMac QDF, then will export a QXF file to the thumbdrive to be sent back to QWin.
This is where I seem to run into trouble.
I import the QXF file from the thumbdrive to QWin QDF.
My wife's QDF with the changes come through the QXF on the thumbdrive.
But, I get a duplicate set of transactions on QWin QDF after reading the QXF in.
What I really want is to create a 'new' QDF on QWin from the thumbdrive QXF.
That basically started with a copy of QWin QDF, through the thumbdrive to QMac, and then back to QWin.
Can I delete QWin QDF somehow and create a new QDF from the QXF on the Thumbdrive? Does not appear to be possible.
Any thoughts? Absolutely no can do? Maybe? Can do?
Any questions for me?
Thanks for listening ...
Bob
Thanks for listening ...
Bob
Win10 Home
Quicken 2020 Subscription

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Eagle

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I foresee quite a few drawbacks to this process, unfortunately. Here is all that comes to mind that could be a potential problem or hassle.

The QXF file does not contain everything from the file. So things like online bills, scheduled transactions, the online connectivity for the account will not translate over and will need to be re-established after each export/import.

The reactivation process could cause duplications that would need to be monitored and corrected. When I completed this process as a test a few categories on some transactions did not translate over, that would also need to be monitored closely.

Investment type accounts do not fair as well as banking accounts when exporting, these accounts types would be basically unavailable with this method.

Last, as this would be an unusual use case for Quicken-- support may have difficulty understanding this setup to be able to provide meaningful support should you need assistance. 

Hopefully, others can stop by and share their experience and process for completing this task.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka I concur with your evaluation, this idea is just asking for problems.

The better approach would be to pick one or the other and have one person use something like Remote Desktop or TeamViewer to get on the other machine to make their changes.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your input.
    I suspected it would be more trouble than it was worth. I just wanted to make sure before I gave up!
    I'll look into Remote Desktop or TeamViewer. I assume they have a Win to Mac connection.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Hello ...
    I realize that I tread on potential dangerous ground here, but ...
    I need to figure something out. And we will back up and be careful.
    I have a need to share the same QDF file between a Win10(mine) computer and a Mac(my wife's) computer.
    We will share the QDF with a Thumbdrive, so the file will not be open.
    Does anyone have some steps outlined on how to do this?
    When I create a Win10 backup of the QDF file on the thumbdrive, it has an extension of .QDF-Backup(date).
    It is my understanding that the QDF and QDF-Backup(date) are the same format. You could just rename the backup to QDF if you want.
    Is that correct?
    What steps does my wife and the Mac need to do to open that QDF (from Win10) on the thumbdrive?
    Our first attempt on the Mac was that the QDF-Backup(date) file on the thumbdrive was greyed out and we were unable to read it.
    Any thoughts on subsequent attempts?
    Bob
    Q 2020 Subscription
    Win10 Home
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The format of the data files are incompatible between Windows and Mac. You would have to install Quicken Windows on a Windows Virtual Machine on your wife's Mac.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Eagle said: I have a need to share the same QDF file between a Win10(mine) computer and a Mac(my wife's) computer.
    I have requested this posting be split into a NEW topic
    and not piggyback onto a totally different existing topic
    [EDIT] - actually, it was merged/added into the OP other posting on the same general often asked topic -
    also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    It can't be done. QWin and QMac files are different formats and not compatible.
    You could set up a remote desktop server on your PC and a remote desktop client on her Mac.
    [EDIT] LOL, when I replied there were no other responses. I guess this thread was in the process of being split from another thread.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see anyone post this.  Would this be helpful?  Convert from Windows to Mac

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    Didn't see anyone post this.  Would this be helpful?  Convert from Windows to Mac

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016 

The problem isn't just "converting", he wants to go back and forth as a regular practice.

Which isn't going to happen.  The best advice is remote access to one machine with one data file.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might also consider looking at the Quicken On The Web browser view of those select accounts from your Qwin desktop.
    Also - consider the Quicken Mobile App -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are making this so much more difficult than it needs to be. All you need to do is host the Windows version on your PC and have your Mac or iPad (that is what I used) to remote in to your PC. Full screen, full access and zero issues. The remote software I use is Splashtop, but there are many options available. This is really the only solution.
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Yes, thanks.
    I'm finally getting it.
    It just seems like I keep reading another forum article about another way and I need to check it out.
    I've been thinking about the remote idea. Was just trying to cut costs, by it looks like you have to pay to play!
    You say you are having good luck with Splashtop? And you are doing Quicken on Win and Mac?
    Thanks for the encouragement and thanks to all who gave input.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Eagle said:
    I've been thinking about the remote idea. Was just trying to cut costs, by it looks like you have to pay to play!
    Microsoft remote desktop client for Mac is free.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Is that what I need?
    I guess I am all confused.
    What I need is a remote on the Mac to connect to the Win?
    Not on the Win computer to connect to the Mac?
    The Microsoft Remote will not work with Windows Home.
    I didn't want to have to upgrade to Pro.
    And other remote packages you have to pay.
    I'll get my wife to get her Mac loaded up and we'll give it a try.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Sorry, I missed the part where the Windows PC has to be running Pro or higher.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full disclosure, I used an iPad with Splashtop remote to login to my Windows PC at home while at work. I updated and managed Quicken sessions while on lunch. A desktop remote app that runs on Mac should be able to remote into a Win PC. Most remote desktop apps that are iOS/Mac based require a subscription or one time fee.  There is a cost hurdle that only you can decide what it is worth. How important is it for both of you to manage the data file? Can she use your PC? Quicken is not scalable financial software. It is personal financial software and cannot and should not even be networked.
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Thanks ...
    My wife is a Mac lady and doesn't want to use the PC.
    That might change! We'll see.
    We have to decide how much it is worth to us to be able to both work on it.
    And then just do it.
    Thanks again for all the ideas.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she doesn't want to use your computer...how about buying a cheap laptop with Windows for both of you to use Quicken on?  Just a thought.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Eagle said:  I've been thinking about the remote idea.
    WHAT would she want to do with the Quicken data ?
    Still don't see why the Quicken Cloud - and Quicken on the Web and Quicken Mobile App -
    would not provide simple access of the Quicken data... from anywhere, anytime -
    AND the Quicken PC would not even have to be turned on and running... it is all in the cloud -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, TeamViewer is free for personal use and easy to setup. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    OK thanks.
    I need to do more research on this.
    My wife said the cloud didn't work.
    You are supposed to take what they say ,,, well ... definitive!
    She wants to be able to do the reconciliation of her checking and savings account on her Mac. (she is not a Win person).
    Seemed to me she said she couldn't do that.
    That may have been the new Simplifi that she tried.
    Back to square one and check out the cloud.
    Sorry for all the back and forth in the forum.
    Thanks for your thoughts and I'll give the cloud another go.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    Eagle said:  I've been thinking about the remote idea.
    WHAT would she want to do with the Quicken data ?
    Still don't see why the Quicken Cloud - and Quicken on the Web and Quicken Mobile App -
    would not provide simple access of the Quicken data... from anywhere, anytime -
    AND the Quicken PC would not even have to be turned on and running... it is all in the cloud -

Personally I wouldn't trust Quicken Cloud too many reports of it corrupting data files.

Do you actually use it?

You would be the first SuperUser I have seen that actually uses it.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Eagle said:  That may have been the new Simplifi that she tried.  Back to square one and check out the cloud.
    Yeah - as @Chris_QPW mentioned - there have been a LOT of probs with using the Quicken Cloud.
    SO..... I was just mentioning it - but in reality - would NOT recommend using it.... Nope - I don't -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Eagle seems to me you have a very hard up hill battle if neither of you are willing to use the other's program.

As you can clearly see now there isn't any "universal GUI/Quicken" that will allow that.
    On the remote access part this is a Windows thread so the answers are mostly "host the Windows side", remote the Mac.
    But even dropping the fact that you are getting Windows answers there are a couple reasons why having a Windows data file is "recommended".
    1. Quicken Mac has yet to get all the features of Quicken Windows.
    2. Windows is much more "open" than Mac is.  As in it is easier to find programs to share your Windows Desktop with the Mac (or in fact any operating system) than it is to share the Mac's.
    As for the "cloud" not working for her, we would have to have more details to know if that is "fixable".  First off if she tried that Mobile it is very limited, at least try the Web interface.

Note that automatic transaction entry mode in Quicken Windows or the Quicken Web interface are going to be closer to how Quicken Mac does reviewing downloaded transactions and reconciling of accounts.

As for a "cloud" solution, well then I think you end up with both of you unhappy since there isn't going to be one out there that does even what Quicken Mac does at this point let alone one that has the feature set of Quicken Windows.

See this thread where I talk about using automatic transaction entry mode in Quicken Windows, and note that you can control this per account:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20169406
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.