When installing an update from R32.10 onwards, where is the automatic backup stored?

I'm using Quicken for Windows Subscription R32.12 on Windows 10 Pro [10.0.19042.870]

In the release notes for R32.10 it says "To decrease the chances of losing data, the active customer data file will now be now backed up automatically before an update is installed."

Can anybody tell me where that backup file is stored? I've just updated to R32.12 and a message was displayed when the installation was complete stating that my file had been backed up, but I can't find any file on my drives that could conceivably be a backup of my data file. I've checked the obvious places, such as Quicken's automatic backup directory, and I've searched my drives, but I can't find a backup anywhere. If I actually needed to restore that backup I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.

Is the backup actually being created, or is it not working correctly? If it does work, where will I find the backup file?

Answers

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Hi The Hollow Stoat,
    You can locate the files by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > on the right hand side you can view under Backup Preferences where Automatic Backups are located and you can change the location if so desired. 

Does that help? 

Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • > @gooddog50 said:
    > Does that help? 

Regrettably no, but thank you for trying to help. As I said in my question above, I’ve checked the automatic backup location and there’s nothing there.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    My backups are in C:\Users\{userid}\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP
    where {userid} is your user login.
    I just used the default backup location.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    @leishirsute
    I agree, just did the update on another computer and see the backups in the same location as you do. However, after the update I did not find a new backup dated today. Hmmm. Either the note that backups are automatically performed prior to the update, or they are stored somewhere else I assume. 
    Maybe one of our superusers can assist.

Edit/Update:
    Went back to my primary desktop computer and the backup is in the correct location with today's date following the update being installed.  I'll have to look at the setup in the other computer to see why the backup was not created. May be due to where I have the file directed. 
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine showed up where the automatic backups are stored:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... somebody fiddled with the backup file name structure.
    When I started Quicken this morning, it updated to R32.12 first, before allowing me to do anything else.
    A special backup was created in the Automatic Backup folder:
    (Ignore the AM10.20 backup. It was created when I switched to a Test file)
    Keep looking with File Explorer and try (1) adding Date created and (2) sort by Date created and you should find it.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    UKR said:
    Hmmm ... somebody fiddled with the backup file name structure.
    I just noticed that as well.  Also, I noticed that I had the extra pre-update backup even though I had only received the notice that it was available.  I didn't actually initiate the update.  So the process seems to have changed a bit as well.   I do have the 16th file in my backup folder (maximum is set to 15) so that idiosyncrasy hasn't changed.

Also, @The Hollow Stoat there is a search feature to find all data files under the Files menu within Quicken.  That might help locate the missing backups.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    same.... I got the notice, but did not update - and the pre-install file naming has changed
    I had just deleted the old special backups - but think it was the full name + the "R" info added at the end
    BTW... I renamed my data folder ...   \Quicken\ to \Quicken-Files\

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    You're right. This is the old pre-update file name format (pre R32):

QDwin-2021-03-22.AM10.02-R-31.20.QDF-backup

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023