Cannot assign tax line item to registry items

I can change the tax line item on the category in the category list. But I can't change the tax line item on existing items in the registry. Nor can I set any new entries with tax line items for Form 8829: Utilities. Quicken seems to set everything to Schedule C: Unspecified Business Expense. I've removed memorized payees. I've tried creating a new entry in category Misc (with no tax assignments). And when I try to select any Form 8829 tax line assignment Quicken sets "Schedule C: Unspecified Business Expense.

I'm using:
Home, Business & Rental Property
Version: R32.12
Build: 27.1.32.12 on
Windows 10 Enterprise

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     "Items in the registry", I.E. transactions don't have Tax lines assigned to the transactions.  The CATEGORY for that transaction has a tax line associated with it.
    SO, do TOOLS, Category List, click the category that needs a different tax line, click the VERY FAINT, clock in the Action column for that category, click EDIT, then the "Tax Reporting" tab and select the tax line that you want to use for this category.  You'll need to scroll down a ways to find the options for IRS form 8829, but they're there.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• I have already changed the tax line item on the category. It reads correctly as "Form 8829: Utilities". However, the individual line items will not show this category.

I have been able to set tax line items on individual transactions when the category does not have a tax line item assigned. I'm certain this works. Either that or quicken as a whole is Not working as designed
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There might be some kind of corruption with your data file, I suggest that you use Validate and Repair to see if it helps.

But on the subject of tax lines, as @NotACPA said each category can have a tax line (and only one), and each transaction can have a category.  You can't directly change the tax line, you change the category tax line.

Example:

The "Schedule...." field can't be edited, it is read-only.  See how when I select the transaction is it greyed out.

And if I go into the category and change the tax line, notice it changes it for all transactions using that category.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • If you right click on a transaction the edit menu comes up. Select Tax line item assignemnt. Here is a screen shot of quicken help saying this is allowed....
  • PS... I did run validate and repair. (Twice) I received a number of corrections / fixes but nothing obviously related. A number of Category Group corrections. Categories moved from Personal to Business category groups.

I can now see changes to a Category Tax line item assignment being reflected in transactions in the register. However, when I select Form 8829: .... for the category tax line, the transactions still say Schedule C: Unspecified Business Expense.

I'm going to run it again a few more times...
  • OK. I'm not 100% sure this did the trick. But in a tax schedule report I found two different groups of Schedule C: Unspecified Business Expenses. One with a business name, the other without a business name. So under Manage Business Information I set this flag. (see pic). It doesn't make complete sense...but now I can set Form 8829 tax line items at the category level and see that applied to transactions using that category. I can now also set Form 8829 tax line item assignments at the transaction level where needed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you right click on a transaction the edit menu comes up. Select Tax line item assignemnt. Here is a screen shot of quicken help saying this is allowed....
    Well that is a new one on me, I tried it and sure enough you can change the tax line assignment for one transaction, no matter what it's category is.

On your problem.  You might also try, it sometimes fixes some problems:
    File -> File Operations -> Copy...

There is also Super Validate.  Do the same sequence for bring up Validate & Repair, but hold down Shift+Ctrl while doing it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.