How to upgrade from Quicken 6.0 & Windows XP

rwrider
rwrider Member
I am helping a friend to clean up her dead husbands affairs who was using an old version of Quicken 6.0 on a Windows XP system. I suggested she buy the latest version of Quicken, and migrate her QDATA files to the new system. QUESTION? will this much older version of Quicken be recognized and imported/converted to the latest version of Quicken running on Windows 10? I have the original 3.5 floppy install disk for proof. Is this older version 6.0 also up-gradable to the current version?

Please answer to my quicken account at xxxxxx
[EDIT] - email removed to prevent spammers using it

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - this is a very public forum - so I have deleted your email address from your posting... never post it online to any public forums.
    Also - have updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rwrider said:
    I am helping a friend to clean up her dead husbands affairs who was using an old version of Quicken 6.0 on a Windows XP system. I suggested she buy the latest version of Quicken, and migrate her QDATA files to the new system. QUESTION? will this much older version of Quicken be recognized and imported/converted to the latest version of Quicken running on Windows 10? I have the original 3.5 floppy install disk for proof. Is this older version 6.0 also up-gradable to the current version?

Please answer to my quicken account at xxxxxx
    [EDIT] - email removed to prevent spammers using it
    Hi @rwrider ,

Please review this article from Quicken:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

"

Converting a data file from versions of Quicken older than 1998

It is no longer possible to convert from versions of Quicken older than Quicken 1998; we recommend that you open a new data file in the latest version of Quicken, for stability.

"

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Converting a data file from versions of Quicken older than 1998

It is no longer possible to convert from versions of Quicken older than Quicken 1998; we recommend that you open a new data file in the latest version of Quicken, for stability.

"
    For what it is worth I have found this statement in the article to be incorrect.
    As long as this is in fact Quicken 6 "Windows" and not the even older Quicken 6 "DOS" Quicken 2004 will be able to open the data file and convert it.

BTW depending on your friends needs she might want to stop at Quicken 2013, which is the last version that can be used without any connection to Quicken Inc.  All the newer versions will be subject to having a "Quicken Id", and in the case of 2018 and above a subscription.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rwrider
    rwrider Member
    I have just about every Quicken media going back to Quicken 97 and one before that that does not show a version on CD. Do you think I can retrogress back to the early CD with hope of advancing the conversion forward? Then do this again with Quicken 97, 98, 2000 until I can eventually get the file up to the current Quicken. Because every time I upgraded going from the DOS version in 1986, it has always converted the file. In fact my current Quicken, the very latest, is using records going back that far. I have never reset my data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Windows 6 is in fact Quicken Windows 1996.

There are certain year versions where they made critical data file changes, as in points where that version will convert lower versions, but the next year version will not convert those older versions.

Quicken 2004 is one such point.  So Quicken 2004 will convert all the “Windows” versions before it, and that is why they supply it in the article.  If one had a DOS version to convert there would have been a version like that, but I have no idea what that version is and it is long since forgotten, but in this case doesn’t matter.

After that you can go all the way to the newest version.  The article says that you have to go through Quicken 2013, but that isn’t really true.  They made a mistake in the early 2014 patch version where it couldn’t convert data files from Quicken 2004 to 2009, but they fixed that in later patch release and future year versions didn’t have the problem.  But the result is that they put up the Quicken 2013 version for this problem, and never took it down.  Which is good for people doing only manual entry because that is the last version that doesn’t have the Quicken Id and such.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rwrider said:
    I have just about every Quicken media going back to Quicken 97 and one before that that does not show a version on CD. Do you think I can retrogress back to the early CD with hope of advancing the conversion forward? Then do this again with Quicken 97, 98, 2000 until I can eventually get the file up to the current Quicken. Because every time I upgraded going from the DOS version in 1986, it has always converted the file. In fact my current Quicken, the very latest, is using records going back that far. I have never reset my data.
    Hi @rwrider ,

This may be possible, provided you can install Windows XP on a separate partition or buy a New Hard Drive and add it to your Desktop Computer.

Do you have one at your disposal? Do you know how switch Hard Drive Boot Order in BIOS? You don't want to mess up your current setup.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754