Tax schedules and reports are all encypted.

ataxdoc
ataxdoc Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Tax schedules and reports are all encypted. Cannot un-encrypt them. All began when updates were downloaded instead of a CD. I can't believe no one else has this issue.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think they are encrypted?  You need to provide further information as to what your issue is.  I know of no reports that Quicken generates that are encrypted.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Are you sure you are in the right place - and not over on the TurboTax forum ?
    All the Quicken generated report output is usually in PDF format
    [EDIT] also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ataxdoc
    ataxdoc Member
    I reported that when I downloaded Quicken last year, I was unable to prepare Reports from bank statements. The reports were all encrypted. The responses I got were: how do I know it was encrypted? Are you sure that it didn't mean Turbo Tax.
    The answers to those questions are: (1) it is encrypted if none of the letters are readable and they appear in encrypted form. and (2) Yes, I am sure that it is Quicken. Although my email in response said "no reply" it also told me that I could reply. Assuming that theses inconsistent instructions are erroneous, I replied and attached a copy of the encrypted program.
    If Quicken can encrypt my entries, it surely ought to be able to reverse the encryption. But from what I gather, no one has heard of this complaint before so Quicken is unable to fix the bug in its program.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right. In all of Quicken's history, no one has ever claimed that reports were encrypted.
    Show us a screen shot of what you're seeing. You will need to save the screen shot to a file and drag'n'drop it into the message composition area of your next post.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ataxdoc
    ataxdoc Member
    edited April 2021
    Please see the following link to a photo of the encrypted Quicken.

[EDIT] - removed external link - added instream sample image....
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's NOT encrypted.  It's corrupted.
    Try reinstalling your Q program, and if that doesn't help, try Validating your Q data file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ataxdoc said: I reported that when I downloaded Quicken last year, I was unable to prepare Reports from bank statements. The reports were all encrypted.
    Have no idea what you are talking about....
    Quicken can not read paper bank statements.
    Quicken can not read PDF bank statements.
    So - beyond that -
    I guess you are going to have to walk us all thru exactly what Quicken menus and steps you used to create these "Reports" 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 2021
    Looks like it might be a font problem. I have no idea where Quicken stores the name of the reports font, though, and I've looked.
    Or it may be Windows-related. One thing to try might be to create a restore point, then reset fonts in the Windows Control Panel, then reboot and see whether that helps.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    ataxdoc said: I reported that when I downloaded Quicken last year, I was unable to prepare Reports from bank statements. The reports were all encrypted.
    Here is what a normal Quicken Tax Schedule report looks like.... the headings at least -
    Notice that even the column headings are messed up on yours, along with all the detail lines.... but "Collapse All" is ok.
    As mentioned above, it is almost like a "font" or "language" problem...
    Wonder if all Reports show up this way - or only certain ones ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you go into any report and then select to print it, what fonts are selected as the Header Font and Body Font?
    I get "encrypted" (or should I say "unreadable") text when I select the Webdings font.
    Make sure your font selections are set to something like, e.g.:
    Header Font: Arial, Regular, 12pt
    Body Font: Arial, Regular, 8 or 9 pt.
    Changing the Font for one report also applies to all other reports.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As per @UKR above - you can  review what your current Font Settings are..... and click the PREVIEW -
    and then go back and change them to something more normal like these defaults -
    --> bring up your Report --> at the top click on the Printer icon --> look at the lower left for Fonts + Preview
    I tried - and it does print funny, BUT - for me - the on screen report did NOT change fonts

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 2021
    @ataxdoc , since you are the only one who has ever reported this problem, it's unlikely we forum denizens will be able to help. I suggest contacting Quicken Support. Let them share your screen & maybe they can fix your reports screen display.

This discussion has been closed.