Unable to convert Old Quicken Deluxe 6 files- the main file is a QDB type

Options
I have old Quicken Deluxe 6 files that I need to get some data from. The main file is a QDB type. I am unable to find a version of Quicken with which I can convert to use with Quicken 2021. Quicken 2013 and 2004 both require a QDF file. I currently run Windows 10-64bit so can no longer load my Quicken Deluxe 6 program. Is there any way I can access these files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Searching the Community I found an old, archived discussion which seemed to indicate that Quicken 2004 can indeed convert Quicken for Windows 6 files, provided you have the complete set, file types QDB (primary file), QSD, QEL, QMD
    If you have Quicken Subscription (2021) already installed on your computer use a different computer, preferably one that uses an older version of Windows, to run the conversion. You cannot have two versions of Quicken installed on the same computer.
    Here are the conversion instructions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    In this document you will also find free software downloads for Q 2004 and Q 2013.
    If all you need is to do some research on old data, use 2004 or 2013 to do the work. If you want to make your old data file accessible with Q Subscription, convert to 2013, then backup your file, restore it on the computer which runs 2021.
    When upgrading to newer versions of Quicken (after 2021) please remember to access both your historical data file and the current file using the new Quicken version, to convert and make accessible all your records under the new version.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken version 6 was designed for Window 95 (16-bit).  It should be able to run on Windows XP (32-bit) if you set the compatibility mode of the application appropriately.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken  

I suggest you click on the Quicken 2004 for Windows link on the referenced page to download the free Quicken 2004 install program.  It may be able to convert the Quicken 6 formatted data file set to Quicken 2004 format.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken 2004 can open/convert a *.QDB file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Searching the Community I found an old, archived discussion which seemed to indicate that Quicken 2004 can indeed convert Quicken for Windows 6 files, provided you have the complete set, file types QDB (primary file), QSD, QEL, QMD
    If you have Quicken Subscription (2021) already installed on your computer use a different computer, preferably one that uses an older version of Windows, to run the conversion. You cannot have two versions of Quicken installed on the same computer.
    Here are the conversion instructions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    In this document you will also find free software downloads for Q 2004 and Q 2013.
    If all you need is to do some research on old data, use 2004 or 2013 to do the work. If you want to make your old data file accessible with Q Subscription, convert to 2013, then backup your file, restore it on the computer which runs 2021.
    When upgrading to newer versions of Quicken (after 2021) please remember to access both your historical data file and the current file using the new Quicken version, to convert and make accessible all your records under the new version.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken version 6 was designed for Window 95 (16-bit).  It should be able to run on Windows XP (32-bit) if you set the compatibility mode of the application appropriately.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken  

I suggest you click on the Quicken 2004 for Windows link on the referenced page to download the free Quicken 2004 install program.  It may be able to convert the Quicken 6 formatted data file set to Quicken 2004 format.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken 2004 can open/convert a *.QDB file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GrandkidsRus
    Options
    Thank you so much UKR, Sherlock, and Chris_QPW! I now have all I need. I appreciate your quick response!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're welcome. Please let us know if you were able to access and convert your old data. Did you take it all the way up to Q 2021 or did you stop after Q 2004 or Q 2013?
  • GrandkidsRus
    Options
    I used my Surface Pro with Windows 8.1, 64 bit. It would not work using Windows 10, 64bit. I ended up using only Q-2004; I had not yet bought Q 2021 and didn't have to although I may decide to buy it and start using it again. This worked beautifully AFTER I put the Quicken folder in my Documents folder! Thank you again!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used my Surface Pro with Windows 8.1, 64 bit. It would not work using Windows 10, 64bit. I ended up using only Q-2004; I had not yet bought Q 2021 and didn't have to although I may decide to buy it and start using it again. This worked beautifully AFTER I put the Quicken folder in my Documents folder! Thank you again!
    Take the next step up to Q 2013 on Windows 10. Theoretically, this should be all you need for getting up and running with Quicken again. Once you've got your accounts in a new data file, created with 2021 transactions and all manual data entry, the way you want it, and you decide to go all the way, then and only then consider upgrading to Q Subscription (aka 2021).

This discussion has been closed.