How do I connect my Wealthfront investment account?

I have an investment account on Wealthfront. When I try to add that account in Quicken Premier (Windows, Subscription version), Quicken marks it as a Line of Credit account, and attempts to download transactions for 1 day only. Need help setting this account.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KRSheth,

Have you entered any transactions into the account (i.e. do you have historical transactions in the account or is it a brand new account)?  Also can you confirm that you are a Windows user?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wealthfront site has this FAQ:
    ==================================================
    Can I export my Wealthfront account data to another personal finance tool like Quicken?

Yes, we support Quicken integration. You can click the "Documents" link at the top of your dashboard and then the "Get Started" button under the "Export to Quicken ®" section. After you select your account and date range you'll be able to download a QFX file, which you can upload to your Quicken software.
    ==================================================
    Does directly downloading a QFX work for you?  Quicken's FIDIR does indicate Wealthfront can be accessed by Express Web Connect, but EWC has its quirks and sometimes just doesn't work well.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @KRSheth

Unfortunately, you can't just change the "account type" from loan to investment. But, assuming that you are a windows user, and the account that was setup and a line of credit has no historical transactions (i.e. it is a brand new account), here's what I suggest you do:

1) Make a backup of your file (in case something goes wrong) and delete the line of credit account that is not working;
    2) Create a new account in Quicken using the "offline account" tab/method;
    3) For "type" - select "Brokerage", and on the next screen enter the account name and "usage";
    4) On the account balance screen - for "statement date" enter the beginning date that you want to start tracking (e.g. 1/1/2021 if you want to track it starting this year) and leave the "cash balances" blank;
    5) Skip through the screen for "adding securities" & click "Done";
    6) On the "Single Mutual Fund" question - select "No" (assuming that is true);
    7) Click "Done" and then "Finish.
    8) Next - Open the account that you just created > Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "Edit Account Details";
    9) On the General Tab: insert "Wealthfront Inc." in the "Financial Institution" field and the "Account Number" in that field;
    10) Click on the "Online Services: tab and then hit "Set up Now"
    11) Fill in your "User ID / User Name" and your password on the next screen and click "Connect" and follow any additional prompts, as necessary.

That should do it.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    This did not work. Quicken went ahead and created another Line of Credit account when I tried to add online services to the offline account.
  • KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    I am a Windows (subscription version) user.
  • KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    While manually importing QFX files may work, that is not a solution I am hoping for. FYI - I have tried Mint and Personal Capital (both free) software, and they have no issue connecting to Wealthfront.
  • KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    This is not a new account, it has transactions. Importing QFX file populated those transaction, but as mentioned above, is not a preferred solution.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @KRSheth,

Before I replied above, I did some research to see if others had reported the problem you are having, and there was no data with users having your issue.

The fact that you used QFX to initially setup the account & download may be causing your current problem, in that it somehow was labeled a "line of credit" instead of an investment type account.

I also just noticed that you also posted another separate thread with a somewhat similar connection issue - which leads me to believe that these errors are not isolated and will require some "hands-on" assistance.  Based on all of this, I suggest that you contact Quicken Support through this LINK for that help.

Good luck!

Frankx

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    Many "Thanks", Frankx. I have tried QFX import only based on Tom Young's suggestion above. I have tried adding Wealthfront from scratch, and based on your suggestion as well - 3 different attempts. None works. Also, my other issue connecting to Voya seems like Voya not supporting Quicken (based on another user's input). While it does not seem that I have done something incorrectly, I will certainly reach out to Quicken support - to confirm.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi @KRSheth,

On the Voya issue - I believe that at least some of the institutional plans that Voya administers - like yours - are still on the current FIDIR listing (and there are a lot of them).  That doesn't necessarily mean that yours is on it, but the fact that your plan specifically references Quicken leads me to believe that online services may be available.  Make sure you pursue this point with Q Support.

Let me how everything turns out.

Frankx

• Hayesjw
    Hayesjw Member ✭✭
    I think Voya reconfigured their servers over the weekend and no user was able to access their website during that period of time. My guess is that a bug developed and Voya is trying to resolve it. I have nothing official from Voya stating that they are discontinuing Quicken. If someone hears otherwise, please let us know. I have a ticket escalated to Voya support.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    "I think Voya reconfigured their servers over the weekend and no user was able to access their website during that period of time. "
    IF that were the case ... there would have been no need to discontinue/drop the ability to download into Q.  They merely could have gone offline for a few days.
    The zzz prefix references a specific decision by Voya to drop Q functionality and that such decision has been conveyed to Q.
    PERHAPS, they decided to change their name ... but in that case the new name should have been posted also.  It hasn't been.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

•  KQ
    KQ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Why was this post 'REJECTED'?
  • Madas
    Madas Member
    I have the exact same issue. Quicken pulls my checking account and my "line of credit" account (which is zero) but doesn't read my brokerage account. Anyone solve this?
  •  KQ
    KQ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Hello Madas. Thanks for the question for regarding this common problem.

Just to confirm, I wanted to let you know this issue has yet to be resolved. In addition, I haven't heard from anyone from Quicken by the solution (Which unfortunately, is becoming more and more common).

If you get any type of acknowledgment/response about this issue, would you please let me know.

Thanks much!

• I have the same issue. I was really hoping a paid subscription like Quicken would work for my purposes but I guess I'll have to cancel, how unfortunate.
This discussion has been closed.