Storing my live file on a flash drive?

Options
I recently upgraded to R32.12 from 2013. To stay secure, I like to keep my live file on flash drive, that I backup to two other flash drives regularly. None of those are plugged in except when I am using them. I keep seeing stuff on here that says I "should" store it on my SSD drive, in the cloud, etc. for various reasons, including how fast Quicken will start.
I don't like the prospect of a hacker getting in there to see my financial world. I don't care about how fast it starts up. I am not in there every day. What am I missing? I am doing it this way right now and all is well.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A USB drive is slower and less reliable than a internal drive.  Note: Quicken will also be writing other files to the location of the Quicken file as well as to locations on the internal drive.

The advantage of maintaining an additional backup in cloud storage is availability should the local backup be lost or destroyed.

While some security is achieved by physically disconnecting the data from the computer when it's not in use, there are also additional risks.  You may want to consider using encrypted storage instead.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A USB drive is slower and less reliable than a internal drive.  Note: Quicken will also be writing other files to the location of the Quicken file as well as to locations on the internal drive.

The advantage of maintaining an additional backup in cloud storage is availability should the local backup be lost or destroyed.

While some security is achieved by physically disconnecting the data from the computer when it's not in use, there are also additional risks.  You may want to consider using encrypted storage instead.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you considered using "data vault" software to create an encrypted file area to store your Quicken data in?  There are multiple vendors out there, check your current anti-virus software package it might have one to use.
    With the proper encryption, who cares if someone gets the file, they won't be able to view it without your encryption password.
    Do not rely on Quicken's file password to protect you, Quicken can remove it, so it just keeps your friends from using it, not a crook or hacker.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.