Investment accounts

I have 2 investment accounts - Investment 1 has 6 accounts and investment 2 has one account. I would like to keep them separate so I can see the total for Investment 1 and the total for Investment 2. Is there anyway to have two accounts called Investing? When you see them up under Investing, they are combined for a total.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some specifics so we can actually get a mind view of what you are talking about ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you are confusing Accounts with Securities. An investing account in Quicken is like a brokerage account, IRA, 401(k), etc., and it can hold several securities. You can have multiple investing accounts. A security is a stock, mutual fund, ETF etc.

Can you restate your problem using that terminology?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • osheasf12
    osheasf12 Member ✭✭
    I will try to make it as simple as possible. I have Brokerage and Retirement accounts set up under Investing. I have another brokerage account that I have not yet set up in quicken. I want to set it up but in a different 'Investing' account so the two are not combined when Investing is totaled. My question is can you have two Investing accounts or is it limited to one.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2021
    You can have as many investing and retirement accounts as you want. Each investing account can hold many securities and will have its own total balance. The securities can overlap, i.e you might have 100 shares of IBM in account A and 50 shares in  account B, and Quicken will keep the totals separate.

To set up a new account, go to Tools > Add account and follow the instructions there.

If you go to the Investing > Portfolio views, there are several "Group by" options. In the example above, if you group by Accounts, it will give a list of all your accounts and the securities they hold, showing that you have 100 shares of IBM in Account A and 50 in Account B.

If you group by Securities, it will give a list of all your securities, showing that you have a total of 150 shares of IBM.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    osheasf12 said:
    I will try to make it as simple as possible.
    Same here - the left side lists your Quicken Accounts - which reflect your real world brokerage accounts.
    There is a thin line between the normal brokerage accts, and the IRA defined accts.
    Within each Quicken Account, are your invested Securities.... like stocks, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds.
    And the same security can actually be held in several different accounts.... like AAPL, or SP500 fund.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• osheasf12
    osheasf12 Member ✭✭
    Sorry - I am not being clear. I am looking at a higher level than securities etc. I have several brokerage accounts at UBS and several brokerage accounts at Merrill Lynch. I would like to keep them separate so I can follow their performance with a high level look at their totals each day. If they all show up under Investing Brokerage, then the total at Investing reflects both accounts. I am wondering if I can have two high level Investing accounts.

Thanks,
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    osheasf12 said:
    Sorry - I am not being clear.
    The answer is NO.....
    The left side is a GROUPING or SECTIONS of different types of accounts setup in Quicken. 
    They are GROUPED by pre-defined names - Banking - Investments - Debt - etc
    So... NO... you can't have another GROUPING called Investments-ML -
    We kept getting dragged off by the use of the phrase "more accounts" -
    You can click on Reports and have a saved report that would just reflect holdings at UBS or another for ML.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @osheasf12

I honestly can't say that I understand exactly what you want to do based on what you've said above.  However, if you actually do not want certain investment type accounts to appear with other investment type accounts, the only way that I believe you can make that happen would be to setup a second Quicken datafile and add the other brokerage accounts (either the USB or the Merrill Lynch accounts) to that datafile.  I can guarantee that the two different account groups (USB vs ML) will not "all show up under Investing Brokerage".

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic premise is that your Quicken account structure should parallel (model, follow, copy, emulate) your real world account structure.  That means if you have an IRA and an investment account at Merrill Lynch, you should have those two accounts as separate accounts in Quicken.  One will show up in the Retirement section if Quicken accounts; the other in the Investment sections.  Similarly if you have investment accounts at UBS and at Merrill Lynch, those too should be separate accounts in Quicken.  Just because a brokerage consolidates their accounts into one statement does not make the accounts at that brokerage one account.

Various portfolio views and reports allow you to group these accounts in various ways to see a more consolidated (top level) view or a more specific view (one account, retirement accounts, investments accounts, brokerage house accounts).

Within any of those account, you may generally hold as many unique or common securities as done in the real world.  There is no (general) need to distinguish the shares of IBM in a retirement account as different from the shares of IBM in an investment account or held at a different brokerage. 

HTH         
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    Within any of those account, you may generally hold as many unique or common securities as done in the real world.  There is no (general) need to distinguish the shares of IBM in a retirement account as different from the shares of IBM in an investment account or held at a different brokerage.          
    @q_lurker's statement ...  I own shares of my former employer in  both my taxable account and my retirement account.
    They have the exact same security name, symbol and CUSIP in both accounts ... because they are the exact same  security ... just held  in 2 different accounts at Fidelity.
    If I also had a ML  account (I don't), I could also hold those shares there.  There's no  need for a separate security simply because I hold that security in 2 different real-world accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    One reason it is nice that Quicken lets you hold the same security in multiple accounts but tracks then separately is if say you have some AAPL in several investing or retirement accounts. You might want to know What is my total exposure to AAPL? 

You could look at an Investing > Portfolio view and simply tell it to group by Security, and it will total your holdings. Or on the Investing > Allocations page it will show your largest holdings by percent across all your accounts or whatever subset of accounts you choose.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just the OP wants to see how well their UBS investments are doing compared to their ML ones are doing ?
    If there is an "advisor" - maybe see how do they compare....
    On the AAPL holdings.... cost basis -
    its interesting to see how my holding from a long time ago is doing compared to our sons holding which is more recent

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    Maybe it's just the OP wants to see how well their UBS investments are doing compared to their ML ones are doing ?
    If there is an "advisor" - maybe see how do they compare....
    On the AAPL holdings.... cost basis -
    its interesting to see how my holding from a long time ago is doing compared to our sons holding which is more recent
    That’s why you have the Quicken accounts match the real world accounts. Makes that type of comparison easy. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2021
    @osheasf12 - I think you are looking for the ability to have two groups of investment accounts, each rolled up into 2 main consolidated accounts, one called "UBS" and the other "Merrill Lynch".  I have not seen where this is a possible account structure in Quicken.  I would think UBS and ML would be able to create these consolidated reports, from which you could do a comparison.  You might even be able to create your own reports from their websites yourself.  It's worth asking UBS and ML if this is possible.  But, I do understand where it would be more convenient on Quicken if it were possible.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    If you would like Quicken to implement account groups as discussed here, please see, comment, and vote on this product idea
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20027117

To vote, click once on the little gray arrow below the vote count.