OSU keeps asking to authorize CapitalOne 360 Accounts

Two weeks ago I had 5 CapitalOne accounts (4 CDs and 1 MMA), and all OSU and Scheduled OSU updates worked without error.  Then 2 of the CD's matured and I started receiving errors on all updates. 
  1. CapOne marked them as closed, so I did the same in QW. Still had errors.
  2. I then deactivated all CapOne accounts and then reactivated.  I had to authorize CapOne numerous times. After which, each time OSU was run I was asked to re-authorize the accounts.
  3. Then I deactivated all CapOne accounts and cleared the account nbr and routing nbr fields in the account setup. I also unlinked Quicken in CapitalOne security, Closed QW and logged out of CapitalOne.  
  4. I restarted QW, and activated Capital One for transaction download.  I was asked 4or 5 times to authorize the 3 accounts (2 CDs and 1MMA).  When everything was done the 3 accounts were activated for Express Web Connect+.
  5. Each time I run OSU or Sched OSU, I still am asked to authorize the accounts before QW will update them.

Best Answer

• David Boater
    David Boater Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @QuickenTyka,  Although I received an error, it seemed to have worked.  Here are the steps I followed:
    1. I added one additional step to what you asked.  When I Deactivated each account I also when to the General tab and deleted the Account Nbr entry.
    2.  During the 1st Sign In / Authorize steps I linked all 3 accounts to its correspond QW account.  
    3. I then received an email from Capital One letting me know I Cap One was sharing my data with Quicken.
    4. As QW continued the process I received a Page Failed To Load error, if I continued with the (Add Account) process.  If I had QW try again, the error repeated, and was in a loop.  So I exited.
    5. When I looked at the Accounts List all 3 accounts appeared to have been setup for transaction download.
    6. I then ran an OSU  and QW DID NOT ASK me to sign in to Capital One and authorize access.
    This process was very similar to what I had done in my early attempts with the exception that then I went to Accounts List and clicked on Add Account vs hitting the + to add and Link the accounts.

Tomorrow I'll check out the Scheduled OSU to see if that works properly.

Regards and thanks,
    David

Answers

• Hello@ David Boater 

Thank you for posting in the Community though I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your Capital One accounts.

You mentioned a series of steps including disconnecting and reconnecting accounts, as well as removing permission for Quicken at the Capital One site. Were you able to reenable that permission at the Capital One site? Also, when reconnecting the accounts, were they all set up using the same financial institution option?

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• David Boater
    Hi @QuickenDiana,
    I am running Version B41.1. 
    1. After Deactivating the 3 accounts and unlinking Quicken from Capital One, I then closed QW and logged off Capital One.  
    2. Next I opened QW, and opened Accounts List.  I edited one of the Capital One accounts and selected the function to Activate the account for download in the Online Services tab..
    3. I was then prompted to enter the name of the FI, and selected Capital One 360.  After entering my Capital One user Id and Password, all 3 accounts were displayed with check marks in a selection box, and I was prompted to Authorize.  This authorization sign in and selection was presented 4 or 5 times before the process was completed.
    4. I then checked the Accounts List and all thee accounts were activated for Express Web Connect + for the Capital One 360 FI.
    5. The Password Vault shows one entry for Capital One, with all 3 accounts.
    6. I then got on the internet and signed into my Capital One account, Quicken was Linked to my Cap One account.  I did not have to enable anything, it looks like it was done automatically.
    7. Now when ever I run an OSU or a Scheduled OSU for any of the 3 Capital One accounts, I have to go thru the Cap One Sign in and Authorize the accounts multiple times.  Capital One also sends me an email saying I linked my Cap One account to Quicken.
    I hope this isn't too much detail.
    David

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hello @david boater

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I have a slightly different reactivation process I would like to try.

I would first deactivate all of the Capital One accounts. This process may not work if any is left connected.

Next, select the (+) as if you are adding a new account, locate the Capital One 360 account and sign in, you will be given an option to link the account accounts to the existing accounts.

I want to see if connecting using the add accounts option corrects the repeated sign-in requests.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • David Boater
    Answer ✓
    Hi @QuickenTyka,  Although I received an error, it seemed to have worked.  Here are the steps I followed:
    1. I added one additional step to what you asked.  When I Deactivated each account I also when to the General tab and deleted the Account Nbr entry.
    2.  During the 1st Sign In / Authorize steps I linked all 3 accounts to its correspond QW account.  
    3. I then received an email from Capital One letting me know I Cap One was sharing my data with Quicken.
    4. As QW continued the process I received a Page Failed To Load error, if I continued with the (Add Account) process.  If I had QW try again, the error repeated, and was in a loop.  So I exited.
    5. When I looked at the Accounts List all 3 accounts appeared to have been setup for transaction download.
    6. I then ran an OSU  and QW DID NOT ASK me to sign in to Capital One and authorize access.
    This process was very similar to what I had done in my early attempts with the exception that then I went to Accounts List and clicked on Add Account vs hitting the + to add and Link the accounts.

Tomorrow I'll check out the Scheduled OSU to see if that works properly.

Regards and thanks,
    David
  • David Boater
    Good morning @QuickenTyka, early this morning I tested Scheduled OSU and everything is working - thank you again.

However, this points out that there are bugs that still need to be fixed:
    1. When a Capital One account is closed either from within Quicken or the Capital One side, it should not cause errors.
    2. Regardless of how a FIs accounts are activated for transaction download, it should work.
    3. Repeated sign on and authorization to the Capital One internet screens should be eliminated - once should be enough.
    Thanks again,
    David
  • I've been getting the same Capital One prompts for almost a year now and I have not had an active Capital One account for years. I have a Bank of Delaware Card (US Airways) and everytime it finishes updating, the capital one loop prompts to Add a Capital One card. There have been lots of threads on this, Quicken Community Support keeps closing each thread WITHOUT A SOLUTION. This is a bug in Quicken Code. None of the above proposed solutions has worked. It's very frustrating.

Philip
  • David Boater
    @Philip_BisonTechPLus
    I'm not sure if you meant the card was a valid card, but not in use for over a year, or it's not a valid card any longer. I also assume that this is your only Capital One Account.   Here are a couple of suggestions:
    1. Unlink Quicken from the Capital One web site.
    2. Deactivate Capital One from the Accounts List
    3. Delete the Capital One entry from the Password Vault

Hope this helps,
    David
  • Hi David,
    thanks but that's not my situation.

I'm just mentioning that Quicken Online update started prompting to sign in to capitol one, like other users here have mentioned since mid last year.

I'm just pointing out that I do not have any Capital One cards active in Quicken nor did they ever connect online with Capital One. I have no Capital One online account at all, but I get prompted for it ever since one of the Quicken Updates last year.

-Philip
  • Alan Thibodeaux
    Alan Thibodeaux Member ✭✭
    Is there any resolution to this problem? I've spent hours trying to fix this.
  • David Boater
    It's been working for months, all on it's own

• Alan Thibodeaux
    Alan Thibodeaux Member ✭✭
    After working with support for several hours in chat (disconnected with Quicken crashed) and on the phone (disconnected after 1.25 hours when call dropped), the solution was to restore from a backup 2 months old, which caused another series of problems and reconciled account entries. All of this occurred due to Quicken not handling closed Capital One accounts correctly. Very poor. I've lost confidence in this application.
  • David Boater
    Alan, From time to time over the years I've run into issues that never seem to get resolved.  Restoring an old backup and marching forward is sometimes the only way.  AND, yes it's frustrating.  The however for me, is there's nothing else out there that meets my needs.  I get over the frustration, plow forward for a few more hours, and in a day or 2 or 7 , I get over it and move forward.  I've been with Quicken from the DOS days.  It's still worth it.