Compatibility

PaulCr125
PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
I'm currently running Quicken 2016 home and business. I would like to "downgrade" to Starter edition subscription version. I no longer need the advanced features of business. Will the starter edition import or convert 2016 data files?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    NotACPA said:
    BTW, you did NOT "legally purchase the software".  What you purchased was a License to run the software subject to the "Terms of Use" that can be found on the Help menu in Q.
    Whether it was a license or the software that was purchased, it is poor form for Quicken to still not make the downloads available.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Quicken Subscription (any version) will open your Quicken 2016 data file. FWIW, if you let your Quicken Starter subscription expire, it becomes Read Only and doesn't support investment accounts. I would suggest using Deluxe instead. Shop around (Amazon, Walmart...) for a better price than Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Starter will open and use the H&B data file, you just won't have the any of the business or investment features.  Loan accounts are not possible either.  Using only cash, credit, saving and checking accounts is possible.
    NOTE: if/when the subscription expires, Starter goes into READ ONLY mode, I suggest only downloading to Deluxe, BUT, if you are using Quicken in a manual mode (no downloading), then why change at all.

• PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    To run from any PC
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PaulCr125 said:
    To run from any PC
    What does that mean?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    I want to install and run Quicken 2016 on another computer. I downloaded it in 2016 and have the original receipt. They just keep redirecting me to the subscription version.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PaulCr125
    Good question, I've been poking around and I can't find the history of my previous versions like I could in the past.
    By chance did you purchase from Amazon or one of the other retailers, if so, you would need to check with them and not Quicken.com.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look in the Downloads folder on the current PC.  There should be a file there that starts with either QW ... or Quicken...
    That's the install  file that you downloaded.  Simply copy that to a USB drive and then move it to the Downloads folder on the new computer.
    Also copy your Q data file to  the USB drive and move it to the counterpart  location on the new computer.
    THEN double-click that moved Q install file and Q will install itself on the new computer and you should be back in business.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    I bought it directly from quicken.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've asked the mods what the link is if it even exists any longer to a user's prior purchases.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PaulCr125
    Per Quicken_Tyka, "Unfortunately, older products have been removed. The official statement is that Quicken does not support older products. I apologize for not having better news."

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, unless you have a saved download of the installation program, you are out of luck.

• PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    I'm sure they are supported because I'm using it. I have never liked their strategy of badgering you to upgrade , and push you to a subscription model. It's not the money, it's the principal. I have used quicken for over 20 years. I know these decisions are made way above any moderator reading this.
    Thanks for the help. Loyalty doesn't mean anything today.
    Paul
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PaulCr125 said:
    I'm sure they are supported because I'm using it. …
    Being able to use an old version does not mean it is supported.  If you contact Quicken Support and ask a question about anything other than subscription (2018+) Quicken, you will be told you have to upgrade to subscription.
    We, fellow users on this forum, don't have that restriction and will try to help anyone with a Quicken question.  Heck, there are some folks out there still running Win95 with an appropriate version of Q, but trust me, Quicken.com does not support that old version anymore.

• PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    Agreed... I have never needed support and probably never will. Still not a very good reason to not supply me with software I legally purchased. It's not worth the fight, they hold all the cards.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice, though too late for your situation, is to make and save copies of all of your installation programs.  I've got all of mine along with the patch release updates.

• PaulCr125
    PaulCr125 Member ✭✭
    I agree... I'm a developer and am always rebuilding machines and reinstalling software. I should have known better. Like I said b4 it's not the money, it's the principal. Appreciate all your help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, you did NOT "legally purchase the software".  What you purchased was a License to run the software subject to the "Terms of Use" that can be found on the Help menu in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    NotACPA said:
    Whether it was a license or the software that was purchased, it is poor form for Quicken to still not make the downloads available.

This discussion has been closed.