I have two securities in my retirement account with Vanguard that do not download.

Options
My one step updates do not pull in two securities I hold in my 401K plan with Vanguard. They don't have symbols in the statements that they produce, but they have been positions I've held for a long time. I never had paid attention before recently.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @gaddisdm,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account and add the account(s) you are experiencing these issues with in your original file.

After adding accounts, see if you experience the same issue in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gaddisdm

About the two securities that do not download prices - can you tell us what the names of the securities are?  That will help us determine how to help you.  For example, if they are common Vanguard funds that are available broadly, they likely have CUSIP numbers and you should be able to download them.  However, if they are "private" funds that related to investments only held in your 401(k) plan and which are not available to investments outside of your plan, you may not be able to download them.

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• gaddisdm
    gaddisdm Member ✭✭
    Options
    One of them is privately held stock only available to the other employees in the plan. The other is a fund named Winslow Large Cap Growth Fund; Class I. It does not have a symbol in my plan statement.
  • gaddisdm
    gaddisdm Member ✭✭
    Options
    @quicken_anja
    My version is R32.12, Build 27.1.32.12.
    I created the test account. There are 2 accounts. One account continues to import correctly. The one in question now shows the funds, including the two that are not coming in on my regular account. There is still an issue. One fund, Winslow Large Cap Growth Fund; Class I, overstates the number of shares considerably. Quicken is showing 2.67 x the actual shares. The price was correct.

How can I fix the number of shares and then reflect them in my actual quicken account? Thank you Anja.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @gaddisdm

Thanks for the update and letting us know more. I'm wondering here back in your main account if we might be able to fix the issue by fixing it inside the security list potentially.

You can do so by going across the top to tools > security list. From here click on the security and you should get an overview of the security. On the top try selecting update. If it does not update to the left and select edit details. Make sure everything looks correct for the security and select Ok again. 

Once you've had the chance let us know if this works on getting the the securities updated.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • gaddisdm
    gaddisdm Member ✭✭
    Options
    @francisco thanks for that. I'm learning. I was able to identify the two mutual funds. The quote data is accurate. I was unable to get it to pull in the shares held. Further, in the test file/account, I was not able to correct the number of shares I hold. . There, in the transaction history, there are a lot of multiple entries on same dates. I guess I'll jut rely on my Vanguard statements and app to watch the account. I'll figure out when I retire how to interact the account with my banking business.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gaddisdm,

Just a couple of thoughts - for whatever they might be worth...

As you may know, Quicken clearly has the ability to help you monitor and control those accounts, along with whatever others you may have; all in one place.  Along with that monitoring ability, the tax and planning tools can be very helpful.

The fact that you were able to somewhat successfully download them to the test file indicates that you should be able to do the same in your real file (unless there is some sort of corruption in that file).  But I don't understand why it "was unable to... pull in the shares held" as that is a basic requirement, and Quicken should do that flawlessly.  The "multiple entries" could be just a function of setting up a new account, but once you get those cleaned up, you should be good going forward.

Let us know if you change your mind and decide to try again in your original file - we'll be happy to help along the way.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.