What happened in the latest update?!?

I used to be able to locally back up my Quicken files locally until the update I just got today. Now when I try to copy the files I get the message "Security information not supported by destination file system." What?!? Why can't I back up my files to local media (HDD or SD card) any more?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

What is the local media's file system format?
  • BinNH
    BinNH Member ✭✭
    When I look in Properties it says exFAT.
  • BinNH
    BinNH Member ✭✭
    Version says R33.19, Build says 27.1.33.19.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BinNH said:
    When I look in Properties it says exFAT.
    That may be the issue.  If you able to save the Quicken backup file to a folder on the internal drive, I suggest you use Windows File Explorer to copy the backup file to the media.
  • BinNH
    BinNH Member ✭✭
    Well, yes, that worked and is better than nothing, but it doesn't really fit my need. I have a command script that I run periodically to copy a bunch of things to an SD card that I can then eject to protect those files against ransomware. This is just one of dozens of copies that the script performs without me having to do each one manually. That script has worked for me for years and years until yesterday. The particular lines in the script that now fail are:

xcopy QBEB.qdf I:\NewQuicken /V /C /F /Y
    xcopy BACKUP\*.* I:\NewQuicken\BACKUP /V /C /F /Y /D
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BinNH said:
    Well, yes, that worked and is better than nothing, but it doesn't really fit my need. I have a command script that I run periodically to copy a bunch of things to an SD card that I can then eject to protect those files against ransomware. This is just one of dozens of copies that the script performs without me having to do each one manually. That script has worked for me for years and years until yesterday. The particular lines in the script that now fail are:

xcopy QBEB.qdf I:\NewQuicken /V /C /F /Y
    xcopy BACKUP\*.* I:\NewQuicken\BACKUP /V /C /F /Y /D

This being a process outside of Quicken, have you checked that the SD card
    • is not full or nearly full
    • is not write-protected (little switch on the side)
    • is not damaged (run a CHKDSK)
    • has too many files within one folder (IIRC, there's a limit to the number of files within a FAT32 folder)
    For my Quicken data file backups, I have configured (Edit / Preferences / Backup) to run both Automatic and Manual Backups, each to their own folders, every [1] time I close Quicken.
    The Manual Backups go to an external USB hard drive. Every once in a while I need to remove some of the oldest backup files because Quicken itself does not limit the number of files in the Manual Backup folder (as it does with Automatic Backups)
  • BinNH
    BinNH Member ✭✭
    SD is only about 1/3 full.
    Not write protected, other files in the command script copy to the SD OK.
    CHKDSK is happy.
    863 files in the largest folder, I can copy to that folder manually, but the XCOPY doesn't work. I only have trouble with the script copying Quicken files to the drive, as if maybe something about the files changed in the latest updates?

Thanks for the ideas!
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR, I posted about SD card issues a few months ago. I wonder if it's related
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For debugging, try removing /C from the commands. This should cause XCOPY to stop after the first error and maybe that will provide a clue.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    UKR, I posted about SD card issues a few months ago. I wonder if it's related

When and where did you post about that? What was the solution? We're all just firing shots in the dark here ... so, how about you help us out. Every little thing helps.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the "Security information not supported by destination file system." warning years ago.
    What it is basically saying is that you are copying from an NTFS files system that has certain permissions set, to a file system exFAT that doesn't allow setting those permissions, so it is dropping them.  It should be a warning not an error.  The copy should still work.

Note when I saw this thread and "saw I copied" I figures it was outside of Quicken, and tried a test xcopy and Windows File Explorer and couldn't reproduce the problem.   Note that with xcopy /o (trying to copy the permissions) I get Access Denied, so even that isn't exactly the same.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/