shawn murphy
shawn murphy Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
How would one enter a real estate transaction in a self directed IRA? Thanks

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I assume you have your IRA set up in Quicken as an "Investment" Account of some sort.
    If that's the case then I'd simply create a "security" with no ticker symbol called "House" or "Real Estate" or something and buy one "share" of this security at whatever that property costs.  The "quote" for the security could be changed from time to time as the market value of the property fluctuated.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not simply set it up as a HOUSE type account ... and mark it "Tax Deferred"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    Why not simply set it up as a HOUSE type account ... and mark it "Tax Deferred"?

You can do that, too.  I think the use of a "security" simply provides the opportunity to easily change the market value of the house to show unrealized gain or loss.

• shawn murphy
    shawn murphy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I went with Tom's so I can adjust value.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zillow, available in  the higher level Q products, and also "adjust value" as can adding a dollar amount to the  "House" account that used the name of the House account as the category.  This will increase value of the account without  using an income  or expense category.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.