Categorize Bank Accounts by name?

I'm new to the online version of Quicken. Had the old version from quite a few years ago, but you can't purchase a stand-alone version anymore. So I "upgraded". I would like to know how to categorize all of the Accounts by the institution. I have Bank of America and TD accounts. For each one, I have Checking, Savings, and Credit Card accounts. I tried editing/renaming each account so all the names for ones from Bank of America began with "BoA", and for TD, "TD". But what it's doing is sorting alphabetically by name properly for all the Checking and Savings accounts, but then it's adding both credit cards down at the bottom. I'd like to somehow group all the BoA accounts separate from all the TD accounts, regardless of what kind of account they are. I've searched to try and find the answer but I don't see it anywhere. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    JimS_61 said:
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    >
    > AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web
    > feature?
    >
    > If you answer
    > "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync
    > process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones
    > or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for
    > backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

My answer is "no". So really all I need to do is open the local copy on my laptop and download my transactions from my accounts and that should give me everything I want/need. Correct?
    I agree with @UKR .  Unless you are using the add on apps of Quicken Mobile and/or Quicken on the Web you should have Mobile and Web Sync turned off because those are the only functions that Mobile and Web Sync benefits.  To have Sync turned on when it is not needed it introduces another variable to the program and the more variables there are the higher the risk that at some point you might encounter some functionality/communication issues so it's just best to keep it turned off.
    Note:  Even with Mobile and Web Sync turned off Quicken will occasionally still sync to your Cloud Account.  The Cloud Account is still needed even when Mobile and Web are not used but it is mostly for verification of license, verification of subscription status and telling your installation which edition you are subscribed to (i.e., which Quicken features are to be turned on and off).
    With Mobile and Web Sync turned off you will still be able to utilize all of the other functions in Quicken, including all 3 of the connection download methods:  Direct Connect, Express Web Connect and Web Connect (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Hi @JimS_61 .  Welcome to Quicken Subscription.
    FYI - Quicken is not an online version.  That is a rumor still floating around on the web that Quicken is now an online program but that is not true.  While how we pay for Quicken has changed from paying for a specific stand-alone version of Quicken to now paying for the program on a subscription basis, it is still only a computer-based program.  One of the features Quicken now offers are optional features that allow us to access our Quicken data via our smart phones and/or on the web, the data that is accessible there is limited and they do not work if we do not have the program installed on our computers.
    What you can do to group the Savings accounts with the Checking accounts is go to Tools > Account List > Edit (for each Savings account individually) > Display Options tab > Account Intent dropdown > change from Savings to Spending.  After making this change you can then reorder the checking and savings accounts in Account List how you wish with the up-and-down Order arrows to the left of the account name when you click o it.
    Unfortunately, you cannot use this process to group Credit Cards with Checking and Savings accounts.  Maybe someone else knows of a way to do this, but I don't.  However, you can sort the Credit Cards in the order you want in Account List under the Credit group.  (You can also change the Intent of Credit Cards to Liabilities which will group the Credit Cards with Loans I don't think that is what you want to do.)

• JimS_61
    JimS_61 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Hi @JimS_61 Welcome to Quicken Subscription.
    > FYI - Quicken is not an online version.  That is a rumor still floating around
    > on the web that Quicken is now an online program but that is not true. 
    > While how we pay for Quicken has changed from paying for a specific
    > stand-alone version of Quicken to now paying for the program on a subscription
    > basis, it is still only a computer-based program.

Yeah, when I subscribed and it downloaded an .exe to my laptop, I assumed that it was going to run directly on my laptop and I wouldn't necessarily have to go online to do anything (though I would need internet access to sync my data to their cloud).

> One of the features Quicken now offers are optional features that allow us to access our
    > Quicken data via our smart phones and/or on the web, the data that is
    > accessible there is limited and they do not work if we do not have the
    > program installed on our computers.

I don't suppose they allow you to buy the downloaded program for less and not allow you to use smart phones or the web, right? :) Just kidding.

> What you can do to group the Savings accounts with the Checking accounts is go to Tools
    > > Account List > Edit (for each Savings account individually)
    > > Display Options tab > Account Intent dropdown > change from
    > Savings to Spending.  After making this change you can then reorder
    > the checking and savings accounts in Account List how you wish with the
    > up-and-down Order arrows to the left of the account name when you click on it.

Ok, I'll try that. It's not super important. But I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if I can't change things to exactly what I want. If not, no biggie.

> Unfortunately, you cannot use this process to group
    > Credit Cards with Checking and Savings accounts.  Maybe someone else
    > knows of a way to do this, but I don't.  However, you can sort the
    > Credit Cards in the order you want in Account List under the Credit
    > group.  (You can also change the Intent of Credit Cards to Liabilities which
    > will group the Credit Cards with Loans I don't think that is what you want to do.)

No, I don't care if the credit cards are grouped with the corresponding banks Checking and Savings. They show up at the bottom now, with rather large negative numbers in red. So they stand out and probably are a good motivation to make them get to $0.00.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try what you suggest and if by chance I should find a way more exactly to what I want, I'll reply here so maybe someone else can use the info.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app (if applicable), then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• JimS_61
    JimS_61 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    >
    > feature?
    >
    > If you answer
    > process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones

My answer is "no". So really all I need to do is open the local copy on my laptop and download my transactions from my accounts and that should give me everything I want/need. Correct?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    JimS_61 said:
    > @UKR said:
    >
    > feature?
    >
    > If you answer

I agree with @UKR .  Unless you are using the add on apps of Quicken Mobile and/or Quicken on the Web you should have Mobile and Web Sync turned off because those are the only functions that Mobile and Web Sync benefits.  To have Sync turned on when it is not needed it introduces another variable to the program and the more variables there are the higher the risk that at some point you might encounter some functionality/communication issues so it's just best to keep it turned off.
    Note:  Even with Mobile and Web Sync turned off Quicken will occasionally still sync to your Cloud Account.  The Cloud Account is still needed even when Mobile and Web are not used but it is mostly for verification of license, verification of subscription status and telling your installation which edition you are subscribed to (i.e., which Quicken features are to be turned on and off).
    With Mobile and Web Sync turned off you will still be able to utilize all of the other functions in Quicken, including all 3 of the connection download methods:  Direct Connect, Express Web Connect and Web Connect (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank).