archiving/copying

TF13
TF13 Member ✭✭
i have a 300+MB file that has decades of info. been researching what the best thing to do is: use the "copy " function and start a file for the last 3 years OR archive investment transactions OR combination of the 2 OR do nothing. any thoughts/comments/ pitfalls appreciated.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you having any problems with your current file - slow performance for example?

If you go to Help then hold down the left Shift key and click on About Quicken, you will see some key stats about your file. Let us know what it says. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you're maintaining attachments in the Quicken file, I suggest not doing so.  You may be be able to reclaim space using File > File Operations > Copy...   Otherwise, unless you're experiencing problems, I suggest you do nothing.  Disk space is cheap,
  • TF13
    TF13 Member ✭✭
    size of qdf file 125592k
    trnsactions 45133.
    any other info u need?

not worried about disk space--just want to make sure software can handle file size
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TF13 said:
    size of qdf file 125592k
    trnsactions 45133.
    any other info u need?

not worried about disk space--just want to make sure software can handle file size
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    TF13 said:
    i have a 300+MB file that has decades of info.
    Well.. looks like Quicken is only really using size of qdf file 125,592k- so what's the other spaced used ?
    Are you using ATTACHMENTS in any way ?
    My QDF file is 190MB physical, but only 160MB internally -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TF13
    TF13 Member ✭✭
    i have used attachments in the past
  • TF13
    TF13 Member ✭✭
    thx for all of your input. what does "securities/ max ref" mean on the chart above? mine shows 530/530. is the limit 2000 on this-i got this number from the article referenced above which says "2000 trackable stocks" (MAX)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    what does "securities/ max ref" mean on the chart above? mine shows 530/530
    As best I have been able to determine, that shows the actual number of securities in your file (530) and what the highest pointer points to (references) (also 530).  That is good that yours are the same.  There was a period where a bug was pointing to a much higher location (like 1500) when the file had much fewer securities.  (Not good)  

No one ever was able to identify what was meant by 'trackable' securities and the 2000 number was acknowledged as a 'soft' number.  Several users exceeded that level with no dire consequences.  Yet Quicken has chosen not to remove or alter that suggested limit (as of last time I looked). 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    TF13 said:
    i have used attachments in the past
    I you want to see the Quicken QDF file broken down more... it is actually a certain type of ZIP file,
    and the program --> 7-ZIP - can show you how much space is being used internally - and by any attachments -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.