How to add offline account without internet connection

Options
When I click on add account, I get a dialog box asking for my Quicken ID password and a message saying "Please check internet connection and try again." All I'm trying to do is add an offline account. I shouldn't need an internet connection. The printed instructions for Quicken make no mention of needing an internet connection for offline accounts.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    deriter said:
    Thanks for responding guys, but none address the issue I brought up in my original post. I never get to the screen where you are asked to search for your financial institution. When I click on add account, (either from the tools menu or the "+" sign at the top of the accounts list) I get a dialog box asking for my Quicken ID password and a message saying "Please check internet connection and try again." Quicken wont let me get past that dialog box. I can't close the box and I can't close Quicken except by going to Task Manager and ending Quicken that way. (BTW.. I'm running Quicken R33.19 on the latest Windows 10.)
    deriter said:
    When I click on add account, I get a dialog box asking for my Quicken ID password and a message saying "Please check internet connection and try again." All I'm trying to do is add an offline account. I shouldn't need an internet connection. The printed instructions for Quicken make no mention of needing an internet connection for offline accounts.
    The first thing I would do is disable the network connection and see if that makes a difference.
    But, when Quicken Inc says that you can use Quicken offline it is a bit of a misnomer.
    What they are really saying is that Quicken Subscription can go for extended periods of time without a network connection, but it certainly doesn't work completely offline.

The main stopper here is the Quicken Id/checking the license.
    Absolutely to install Quicken Subscription and activate it you have to be online.
    But even past that it is generally excepted that Quicken Subscription is from time to time going to check that license.  Now here is where it gets very "vague".  No one knows (other than the Quicken developers, which aren't going to tell you) how Quicken's subscription does that checking.  Even more precisely, no one knows what will cause Quicken to "invalidate" the current status and force a check.

From what I have seen, once Quicken gets in the mode that it thinks it needs check (as in as you to log in), there isn't anything short of making that connection that will allow Quicken Subscription to go on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should be able to add your bank as a manual account by selecting Advanced Setup in blue lettering at the bottom of the  screen that asks the name of your bank when creating a new account. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @deriter - You didn't say which edition and version of Quicken you are running.  If I recall it correctly, @volvogirl 's suggestion works if you are running an older version of Quicken. 
    If you are running a recent version of Quicken when you click on Add Account you should see the following pop up. Do not type in anything on this view Connected Account view.  Instead, make sure you click on +Offline Account.:
    After clicking on Offline Account you should see this and should be able to set up your account without internet access being required:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually, in a relatively recent update to the Quicken Subscription version, the Add Account process has been redesigned a little.
    When you start the Add Account process and want to create a manual account which is NOT connected to a bank for transaction downloading, the first thing you want to do is to click the Offline Account button (tab):
    and take it from there.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• deriter
    deriter Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for responding guys, but none address the issue I brought up in my original post. I never get to the screen where you are asked to search for your financial institution. When I click on add account, (either from the tools menu or the "+" sign at the top of the accounts list) I get a dialog box asking for my Quicken ID password and a message saying "Please check internet connection and try again." Quicken wont let me get past that dialog box. I can't close the box and I can't close Quicken except by going to Task Manager and ending Quicken that way. (BTW.. I'm running Quicken R33.19 on the latest Windows 10.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    deriter said:
    deriter said:
    The first thing I would do is disable the network connection and see if that makes a difference.
    But, when Quicken Inc says that you can use Quicken offline it is a bit of a misnomer.
    What they are really saying is that Quicken Subscription can go for extended periods of time without a network connection, but it certainly doesn't work completely offline.

The main stopper here is the Quicken Id/checking the license.
    Absolutely to install Quicken Subscription and activate it you have to be online.
    But even past that it is generally excepted that Quicken Subscription is from time to time going to check that license.  Now here is where it gets very "vague".  No one knows (other than the Quicken developers, which aren't going to tell you) how Quicken's subscription does that checking.  Even more precisely, no one knows what will cause Quicken to "invalidate" the current status and force a check.

From what I have seen, once Quicken gets in the mode that it thinks it needs check (as in as you to log in), there isn't anything short of making that connection that will allow Quicken Subscription to go on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/