Account out of balance. Don't know why.

Options
Transferred Quicken and files to a new computer 2/5. Old computer windows 7. New one, windows 10. Before the transfer, the checking account was updated, reconciled and in balance. On opening the account on the new computer, and after one step update, reconciliation shows me some $400 out of balance apparently requiring a $400 negative adjustment to my account. Any idea what happened? Any suggestions re a "work around"? How did $400 "just disappear?"

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @TimS

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pull out your checking statements and go backwards in time until Q and the ending balance on the statement agree.
    Then UNreconcile everything after that point and re-reconcile the account, month by month, until you identify the error.
    And, $400 might have disappeared if you manually changed a reconciled transaction ("R" in the CLR field) to another value or manually changed another value to "R" or if you deleted the other side of reconciled transfer.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Moorhatch
    Moorhatch Member ✭✭
    Options
    Good suggestion but (and to help me understand), if I reconciled my Quicken account to my bank's balance on 2/5 they were in balance There were only 5 transactions after that date. They came to some $700 and the account comes up $400 short. How? Why? Q and the bank's balance agreed on the 5th.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Moorhatch

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I would recommend taking a look at the reconciliation article here that goes over a couple of different troubleshooting steps. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-account-quicken-windows

Once you get a chance I would take a look at this and see if you're able to find where we're having issues. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Moorhatch
    Moorhatch Member ✭✭
    Options
    Problem solved ( it helps if one follows directions.) Deactivated on line for the account, validated the file then reactivated on line. The missing $400 reappeared. All is well with the world (if I ignore COVID). Thanks for the feedback.
  • KellyHallPiepmeier
    Options
    Hello @Moorhatch
    Can you tell me ( or maybe @Quicken Francisco can tell me) what you mean by "deactivated on line for the account, validated the file then reactivated on line." I have the same problem with one of my credit card accounts. I've been using Quicken for almost 30 years, and have never had this happen. My credit cards always balance with the statement. But in March 2021, even though my cleared transactions equaled the amount that was supposed to be cleared to total $0, Quicken changed that top number so that the total was a -$400! I haven't been able to reconcile that account since March, and I now have a statement for April and May. I've just been paying the balance according to the statement every month. I don't see how adding a -$400 balance adjustment will help anything! But I've also never heard of "deactivating" in relation to Quicken.
  • TimS
    TimS Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the exact same problems with bank and credit card downloads. It keeps wanting to add totals to the balance adjustment to reconcile..but it doesn't need to be reconciled.. It's a mess.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @TimS

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~