Why is the portfolio graph showing these erroneous spikes?

PopeOil2
PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Graph shows account value spiking to $7,000,000 when the value should be ~$300k. The spike occurs each month and does not show up in the transactions window.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which graph are you referring to? Something on the Home screen? Investing > Performance > Growth of $10,000? Market Value on a Security detail view? a report?

Sometimes issues like this can be caused by erroneous data in the price history for one of your securities and you need to narrow it down by account and security to see where the problem is.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • PopeOil2
    PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
    These are accounts that are updated online.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    And online price histories are sometimes incorrect. Even though you rejected Jim's reply above, you really do need to do what he said: narrow down the source fo the spikes to one account, and then to one security (hopefully). Look at the price history for that security and you'll likely see what's wrong -- although not necessarily why. (I experienced something like this after a stock split, where the price history was not correctly adjusted by Quicken's quotes provider.) If you can zero in on the source of the problem and post the name of the security, the financial institution for your account, and perhaps a screenshot of the wonky price history, people here may be able to help you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • PopeOil2
    PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
    Your code has major bugs. I won't be renewing. I should not have to reconcile the ledger to the graphics. Ledger is correct, graph is crap.
  • PopeOil2
    PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
    Explain this behavior:
  • PopeOil2
    PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
    This is a recent bug.
  • PopeOil2
    PopeOil2 Member ✭✭
    Also, Quicken no longer syncs my E*Trade checking or savings accounts. This also is a new bug.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @PopeOil2  This forum is mostly users supporting fellow users; you're not talking to Quicken management here. You can contact Quicken Support by phone, 8 am-8 pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday, for help with your connectivity problem.

As for the graph issue, it's likely it's not a bug in the program, but a problem with the historical price data for one (or more) of your securities. There can be occasional problems with the price services Quicken subscribes to. To troubleshoot this issue, start by narrowing the issue to one account if you haven't already, and then narrow it to a specific security which is experiencing the fluctuation; look at the price history. Did the security experience a stock split or merger/acquisition? If you post what security has the issue, other users here might be familiar if there was a problem. Depending on what the problem is, you may be able to resolve it be deleting the incorrect price history data, or re-downloading the history for that security.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.