Quicken Home & Business for Mac

Options
slumdog
slumdog Member
The only reason I run Windows on my Mac is because Quicken doesn't make Home and Business for Mac. I recently updated my MacBook Pro only to find out that the new Mac M1 will not run on VMWare. Why doesn't Quicken offer their Home and Business product for Mac????

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    There is a longstanding Idea thread for this request; you can find it here and add your vote. That thread currently has 279 votes and is marked as "Under Consideration". More votes and comments can only help.

Why doesn't Quicken offer their Home and Business product for Mac? Only the management at Quicken can answer this, but I can offer some insight. 

A Home & Business version for Mac would doubtless be a major development effort. It may happen some day; it may even be being worked on as we speak. But Home & Business is built on top of the feature set of Quicken Deluxe and Premier, and until they build up the Mac program to have at least somewhat comparable features to Quicken Windows Deluxe and Premier, it would be impossible to build Home & Business on top of the code. Just like in building, you need to have a solid foundation before you add more layers on top. It's anyone's guess how close they are to having that necessary foundation; it's also anyone's guess whether they feel taking thousands of programmer hours to develop Home & Business for the Mac will generate a return on that investment. If most of the users of a Mac Home and Business version would be existing Quicken Windows users, Quicken would be satisfying those users, but not generating any extra revenue to pay for all the development effort. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RhondaD_123
    RhondaD_123 Member ✭✭
    Options
    As a longtime Quicken Home and Business user, I am admittedly getting frustrated with all of OS/iOS upgrades that continually hit my wallet to keep upgrading my VM for the extra features that Quicken Home & Business has for Windows.

Can certainly understand the reasons presented. They may need to refactor the entire platform, which can take a considerable amount of time and money. Does Quicken see business value for their existing Home & Business Mac users/customers needing the Home & Business features? Is there an opportunity to increase market share and subscription revenue for Mac users that want those features without the hassle and cost of VMs? Do they see any risk of any competitors developing a more robust product for the Mac that would reduce market share for Quicken?

With the recent change in ownership to Aquiline Capital Partners, will be interesting to see what, if anything, evolves around this long-standing request.
This discussion has been closed.