Trouble reconciling checking account

Options
My bank recently changed its online banking software. Finally I can download transactions as before. When I attempted to reconcile the account this month the Quicken screen that shows the opening balance has a different amount than the banks opening balance on their statement. I have gone through each transaction on the statement, removed duplicate transactions and even manually changed the opening balance in Quickens reconciliation screen. The amount on that screen keeps returning to the original figure and my register is off by the difference between the two opening amounts.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "...and even manually changed the opening balance in Quickens reconciliation screen."
    Although you can change that number on the screen, it's actually a calculated number that you can't actually affect for purposes of the reconciliation.  Something has changed in a transaction with an "R" in the Clr column entered as of or before the opening date.  Maybe a transaction was deleted, the dollar amount changed, a new transaction with an "R" in the Clr column was added, or something.  You need to try and run down the change or changes to get that opening balance to agree to the statement.  If you can't do that you'll have to make an adjustment in this month's reconciliation.