Price for my option LSCC 9/17/21 55 C Call Option

My current option price for LSCC 9/17/21 55 C call option at my brokerage is 4.65 but for some reason that price is not downloading into quicken keeping my overall price at yesterdays price of 1604.30 instead of $1584.30. I checked the holdings and the options price there stills shows Wednesdays price of 4.75. I tried to use the gear icon to "get online quotes". then I tried to update it from the "security details view window". I even tried to deleting the account then reinstalling it but it still reads 1604.30 with yesterdays (Wednesday's) option price of 4.75. Any suggestions on how to fix this without manually entering the option price every time there is a new price online?

thanks.

Kris

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When you click on the name of the option to display the Security Details view, what does it show for the Symbol?

Is this the correct ticker for this security?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    There are multiple sources for quote data.

-- Quicken's quote provider references the security's ticker symbol and provides 15 min delayed quotes for stocks and ETFs that it recognizes. Apparently its quotes for options are updated at the end of the day, and of course mutual funds only provide prices once per day usually around 7:30 pm Eastern time. These quotes are updated when you click on Update Quotes.

-- Your broker provides quotes for the securities you hold there. It uses the securities' CUSIP numbers to match the securities in Quicken. Sometimes the broker's quotes are more up to date than the quote provider's. The data is updated when you update the account, as you did.

If there is no price recorded for a date, Quicken uses the most recent previous price in its price history.

Quicken has rules to determine which data "wins" if it receives quote data and there is already a price for that day in its price history. From the Help,

Hierarchy for prices entered

1. Manual price entry
    2. Current Price (Quote)
    3. Historical Price (Quote)
    4. Price downloaded with broker data through One Step Update or Update Now
    5. Import Price (CSV)
    6. Transaction Price entered when manually entering a transaction in the brokerage account list. Each entry method overrides the price(s) received by the method just below it. This means that the price displayed after entering a Buy transaction (for example) would be replaced by the price imported from a CSV downloaded from an investing site (such as Yahoo! Finance), which would be replaced by the price transmitted by the broker when performing One Step Update, and so forth.
    So in your case, maybe the quote provider does not recognize the symbol for your option and thus it only updates the price when you update with the broker. There are ways to debug this further if you are interested.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @KDJ21

Thank you for visiting the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, can you please navigate to Help > About Quicken to provide the release of Quicken you are currently running. Next, can you please confirm the last download date?
    1. Choose Investing menu > Go to Investing.
    2. Click the Today's Data tab. Information about when security prices were last updated is displayed below the tab.
    I am trying to isolate if this issue is related to updating or related to this specific holding.

Please let me know what you find!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    When you click on the name of the option to display the Security Details view, what does it show for the Symbol?

Is this the correct ticker for this security?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    KDJ21 said:
    My current option price for LSCC 9/17/21 55 C call option at my brokerage is 4.65 but for some reason that price is not downloading into quicken keeping my overall price at yesterdays price
    I see this at the bottom of my portfolio view. I infer you will never see today's prices for options.

Quicken_Tyka said:
    1. Choose Investing menu > Go to Investing.
    2. Click the Today's Data tab. Information about when security prices were last updated is displayed below the tab.
    Where is Today's Data? I can't find it in QWin R33.24.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    The security is correct in the securities detail view. But I have an update. The other day (Friday) did an update just to that account and would you believe it quicken finally updated to the correct option price. I have no idea why the software does that. I spoke with support on Friday about this and they told me that quicken only updates every 24 hours even though my Schwab account will update every 5-15 minutes. Does anyone have any idea or explanation as why quicken only downloads updates every 24 hours?

Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓

-- Quicken's quote provider references the security's ticker symbol and provides 15 min delayed quotes for stocks and ETFs that it recognizes. Apparently its quotes for options are updated at the end of the day, and of course mutual funds only provide prices once per day usually around 7:30 pm Eastern time. These quotes are updated when you click on Update Quotes.

-- Your broker provides quotes for the securities you hold there. It uses the securities' CUSIP numbers to match the securities in Quicken. Sometimes the broker's quotes are more up to date than the quote provider's. The data is updated when you update the account, as you did.

If there is no price recorded for a date, Quicken uses the most recent previous price in its price history.

Quicken has rules to determine which data "wins" if it receives quote data and there is already a price for that day in its price history. From the Help,

Hierarchy for prices entered

1. Manual price entry
    2. Current Price (Quote)
    3. Historical Price (Quote)
    4. Price downloaded with broker data through One Step Update or Update Now
    5. Import Price (CSV)
    6. Transaction Price entered when manually entering a transaction in the brokerage account list. Each entry method overrides the price(s) received by the method just below it. This means that the price displayed after entering a Buy transaction (for example) would be replaced by the price imported from a CSV downloaded from an investing site (such as Yahoo! Finance), which would be replaced by the price transmitted by the broker when performing One Step Update, and so forth.
    So in your case, maybe the quote provider does not recognize the symbol for your option and thus it only updates the price when you update with the broker. There are ways to debug this further if you are interested.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

... Sometimes the broker's quotes are more up to date than the quote provider's. The data is updated when you update the account, as you did.
    And sometimes the brokerage quote is less up to date.  The brokerage data includes a date for their price and that might be “yesterday”. 
  • KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka.

Well the update was as of today 6/1 and the latest version is R33.24. Not sure if that is what you were asking. I’m not sure about what you mean by “data tab”. I see the investing button on the blue bar but no investing menu. I see no Data Tab though.
  • KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    HI Jim
    It show LSCC and yes that is the correct security symbol.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2021
    LSCC is the symbol for the underlying stock Lattice Semiconductor.

Quicken uses the OCC format for option symbols, so it is
    LSCC 210917C00050000

See this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20162500

and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_symbol

for the format details, except it looks like Quicken uses 1 space after the security symbol rather than padding to 6 columns.

[edited with more info]