Using Quicken after expiration

I tried using Quicken after my subscription expired and I have to uninstall and reinstall every time I want to get into it. Once I close out and try to get back in, a message pops up about how reinstall after membership expires and then the program closes. I have tried following those steps but am getting nowhere. I have the Deluxe version and thought I was supposed to be able use entering manually after expiration but that doesn’t seem to be the case without reinstalling every time. At what point will that stop working and I won’t have access at all? Someone please help me!! I refuse to pay a company more money if this is how they conduct their business by forcing people to renew.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If I am understanding the linked procedure, the post expiration installation process is more difficult. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once your subscription expires, you are restricted from using the program if it is updated past the last release patch before it expired.
    Sounds like your process is updating to a post expiration date release.
    Follow the instructions found here:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If I am understanding the linked procedure, the post expiration installation process is more difficult. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jen13
    Jen13 Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Once your subscription expires, you are restricted from using the program if it is updated past the last release patch before it expired.Sounds like your process is updating to a post expiration date release.Follow the instructions found here:https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

This is what I have been trying to do over and over and am getting nowhere. It lets me use it once but if I close out, I have to go through the whole process again. How do I get it to not update to a post expiration date release? I have tried using several different patches before my expiration.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I keep an expired license around for doing this kind of testing.

This is the dialog that comes up.

Clicking on that link opens in your web browser with the same web page that @splasher put in his comment, so in fact I'm afraid that doesn't add to what might be going wrong.

Using the instructions I went and logged into this account on Quicken.com.

With this information I downloaded the 15.15 patch which it says came out on 10/26/2018.
    Selected OK on the Quicken dialog and Quicken closes.
    Then I tried to installed the 15.15 patch.
    Lucky me, this patch is over 1 GB and is the one that was released corrupted.
    They release a fixed 15.15 patch "M2", but it seems they are only providing the corrupted one on that webpage.  The good one is on my site: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

Anyways with the proper patch installed then I started Quicken.  Once I logged in and got the right data file it did work for me.

Closed and restarted, and even rebooted machine just to make sure, and it is working for me.

One thing this tells me is that Quicken Inc believes that they can back patch to any past version by just installing that patch.  I can think of situations where that might not be true, but it is interesting to sort of get their viewpoint on that subject.

BTW I notice that the Canadian patches are missing.  And note even though one can get the patches from my website, I don't have the dates of when they were released.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sticks in my memory that you have to use the last day of the month before the expiration date to decide which patch to update to.
    This comes from a user awhile ago that had an update a day or two day before the subscription expired and it would not run after the expiration and had to revert to the patch release before the most recent one which was in the prior month.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    It sticks in my memory that you have to use the last day of the month before the expiration date to decide which patch to update to.
    This comes from a user awhile ago that had an update a day or two day before the subscription expired and it would not run after the expiration and had to revert to the patch release before the most recent one which was in the prior month.
    Yes, I remember that too from the other thread, so if after the patch is installed you still get the problem you might want to try a patch form at least the month before.  In my case it was only one day before the expire date and still worked.
    Signature:
  • Jen13
    Jen13 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Yes, I remember that too from the other thread, so if after the patch is installed you still get the problem you might want to try a patch form at least the month before.  In my case it was only one day before the expire date and still worked.

I thought I had tried one from prior month but will try that again. This is probably a dumb question but I’m not very tech savvy. How do I know I have properly installed the patch after downloading it? Maybe I’m missing something there and that is my problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well just the fact that the install of the patch completes without error should mean that the patch is properly installed.  The other way to check is by selecting Help -> About Quicken, but you might be blocked from even getting to the Help menu.
    Signature: