Data Password Request with inactive link to reset password.

davdirift
davdirift Member
Upon opening Quicken, I was presented with a screen asking for a password and the option of resetting the password. I haven't been using a password on the data file for years and the option of resetting the password does not action a new screen. My subscription is up to date and, yes this feels quiet random.
1) Have others run into this problem,
2) Online chat sent a link for Assisted Service to request password removal but I will need to call during office hours during the week.

[Removed- Inaccurate] 

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @davdirift

Thank you for visiting the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist. First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running.

What password is the screen asking for? Is this a data file password or the Quicken ID password? How are you opening Quicken? Are you selecting the application or selecting a data file.

The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • davdirift
    davdirift Member
    Subscription: Quicken Starter Edition,
    Windows Version R32.12, Build 27.1.32.12

When I open the Quicken App, it loads my data file. The window that pops up is trying to open the data file and provides the correct data file name. I don't remember ever setting a password. The link "Reset password" doesn't initiate anything.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @davdirift

Thank you for the response and the response additional details. At this point, I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • davdirift
    davdirift Member
    Will do. Thank you.
  • Chris Paz
    Chris Paz Member
    This problem is happening to multiple users. I called Support two days ago on this, and the rep had no clue how to help me fix it. Finally restored an old backup, then re-entered my data again from the past few days. I then saved a new backup file. When I went to re-open my data file, lo and behold, it is asking for a password once again WHEN I NEVER CREATED/WAS USING A PASSWORD!! Come on folks! Solve your problem!
  • payrollguy
    payrollguy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I've used Quicken since it was invented. I'm having the same problem  [Removed-Inaccurate]
  • davdirift
    davdirift Member
    My disappointment is that the "reset password" link does not work. Assisted Service told me the only way to get the password removed is to send the data file to Quicken, which will be sent back via email. When speaking with Assisted Service, I also heard the word corrupt data file as a cause. If that is the case, Quicken should give the users the tools to fix the data file.

Thanks, Chris, for letting us know that the password issue might arise again even if you return to a previous backup and reenter the information. That was going to be my next step.

Also, what is the [Removed- Inaccurate] tag added to these messages on this forum?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off if your data file doesn't have a password on it and Quicken is prompting you for it you can almost guarantee that you have a corrupted data file.

And in that case resetting the password is meaningless because there wasn't supposed to be the one in there in the first place.

Basically what is happening is that Quicken tried to open the file it got an error and believing that maybe there was because the file has a password on it and therefore it can't read it until the password is given it prompts you.

The corrective action in this case is to go to a backup and restore.

As far as Quicken Inc providing tools for fixing problems they do it's called validate and repair and you can even run validate from one file or with no file loaded and browse and open another data file and validate and repair it.

But frankly I seriously doubt it'll fix your file because if it gets to the point where it's so corrupted that Quicken thinks you have a data file password when you don't it's beyond help usually.

When something gets corrupted there's no guarantee that there's a way back to a non-corrupted state is as simple as that in this world 
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • davdirift
    davdirift Member
    Thanks Chris.

I’ll try restoring from a backup. The other Chris who is on this thread said he “finally restored an old backup, then re-entered my data …. I then saved a new backup file. When I went to re-open my data file, lo and behold, it is asking for a password once again”. I was keying off his experience which reinforced my perception that It was an issue with the program or maybe Quicken Inc was reinforcing to start using passwords or opt out.

Nor am I’m placing blame Quicken Inc tor a corrupted file. I did try the validate process of the data file before contacting customer service. Thanks for explaining the logic behind nonfunctioning “reset password”.

Cheers
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On the subject of what might be corrupting the data file, unfortunately that is an extremely hard question to answer because it could be a lot of things.  But I will throw out what it might be, and come to thing of it add in a better way to restore.

If you are using Sync to Mobile/Web try it without that.

Next there have been some reports of problems with the restoring of a backup.  It seems that even if you don't use Sync to Mobile/Web there are some things that are being synced to the Quicken cloud data set.  And it is possible while restoring or on the next One Step Update that maybe they might trying to sync back to the data file and mess something up.

So the suggestion is to get rid of the cloud data set for that data file before restoring.
    You can do this by creating a new data file, and enable it for Sync to Mobile/Web.
    With that you can go into Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (x)

That will bring up a dialog that allows you to delete the cloud data set for the original data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/