Some Transactions Download Much Later Than Others

Over the past year, has anyone else noticed that some transactions seem to get lost for a while before they download? When I finish reconciling a download for my checking or Discover accounts, there are always one or two transactions that haven't downloaded yet. They eventually show up, but it can take a week or more before they finally download.

Not sure if it is a Quicken issue or a banking issue, but it never used to do this. Now it does it all the time. Usually one or two transactions, way late. It makes reconciling a real pain.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would check on the FI's website to see if these transactions are lingering in "Pending" mode longer than the rest.
    I know some of my restaurant charges take longer than a Walmart or grocery store chain transaction.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those "pending" transactions that @splasher refers to generally take 1-3 business days to post (add on another 1-3 calendar days if weekends and/or holidays are involved).  Transactions do not get downloaded into Quicken until they have posted at the FI.
    Also, if your download connection method is EWC there is also a potential for another 1 business day delay in a transaction getting downloaded into Quicken.  With EWC the aggregator takes an account snapshot (usually at night) of what is on the FI's server.   Many FIs update their main servers with the daily financials at night.  If that aggregator's snapshot is done before the FI's server update has been completed then it can result in some transactions not getting downloaded until the following day.
    Add all this together and it totals up to 1-7 days from the date of the transaction being done until it gets downloaded into Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jlm_iii
    jlm_iii Member
    Thanks a for the comments. A couple of things I should have mentioned. One, the transactions are already in the balance, but not downloaded, THAT is the part I’m struggling with and what makes reconciling a pain. Two, some are coming in a week late. My Friday pay check downloaded this morning along with my one from TWO WEEKS AGO. I’d already manually entered it because I could see the credit in my account statement and it was in my online balance. Wouldn’t reconcile Unless I put it in.

Seriously, quicken used to never, ever so this before.

Thanks again for the comments.
  • Boatnmaniac
    jlm_iii said:
    Thanks a for the comments. A couple of things I should have mentioned. One, the transactions are already in the balance, but not downloaded, THAT is the part I’m struggling with and what makes reconciling a pain. Two, some are coming in a week late. My Friday pay check downloaded this morning along with my one from TWO WEEKS AGO. I’d already manually entered it because I could see the credit in my account statement and it was in my online balance. Wouldn’t reconcile Unless I put it in.

Seriously, quicken used to never, ever so this before.

Thanks again for the comments.
    OK, that is not something I've seen before.  What I've seen is that the transactions are downloaded but the downloaded online balance sometimes trails by up to 12-24 hrs, not that the downloaded online balance includes debit/credit amounts for transactions that have not yet downloaded.
    I've also not seen transaction downloads taking 2 weeks to occur after the transaction has been received by the FI. 
    I do not have any Discover cards so I can't comment about that at this time. Maybe someone who does will be able pipe in with some insight on this.
    Which bank is your checking account with?
    Also, are the accounts in question set up for DC or for EWC?

• jlm_iii
    jlm_iii Member
    EXACTLY! I rarely see the trailing balance thing anymore, but I used to see it every so often. This is 100% the exact opposite. Transactions are trailing the balance. And it’s usually only one or two.

Direct connect through my local credit union.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2021
    @jlm_iii - My understanding and experience with DC is that trailing transaction and/or online balance downloads should not be happening at all.  Since what you are describing is so odd and I am seeing no one else posting about a similar issue, maybe there is something not right with your data file and/or installation. 
    Have you tried doing Validate and Repair (File > File Operations > Validate and Repair)?
    If this hasn't or doesn't fix the problem, you might want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken: 

• ibicycle
    ibicycle Member
    > @jlm_iii said:
    > Over the past year, has anyone else noticed that some transactions seem to get lost for a while before they download? When I finish reconciling a download for my checking or Discover accounts, there are always one or two transactions that haven't downloaded yet. They eventually show up, but it can take a week or more before they finally download.
    >
    > Not sure if it is a Quicken issue or a banking issue, but it never used to do this. Now it does it all the time. Usually one or two transactions, way late. It makes reconciling a real pain.

I have been having this issue, also. In the notes of the most recent Quicken update it appears they acknowledge there is an issue? It may get fixed later in the year?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ibicycle Make sure you have your Discover account(s) set up for Direct Connect versus Express Web Connect.  You will need to use Advanced Options to select DC, but it is the best of the download methods and I never have the trouble that you describe.  Regarding your checking account, you don't state which FI, so I can't give you any help there.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list