Why is Quicken trying to access my bank information?

Mark M
Mark M Member ✭✭
Good Day,
Over the last three weeks Quicken, more correctly Windstream Communications, has been trying to access my bank account. This triggers new banking alerts that messages me that someone is trying to access my account, from IP addresses 64.41.181.xxx, So when I call the bank they are telling me that it is from a Quicken company.
I do not have my account information automatically downloaded into Quicken so there is no reason for Quicken to try and access my bank account.
Is there any way I can get Windstream to stop trying to access my bank account? Whom would I complain to about this issue?

Thank you for listening,

Mark M.
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read about Express Web Connect.

Connection Types in Quicken | Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do any of your accounts use Express Web Connect?  Do you use the Q Mobile App, or Quicken on the Web?
    They ALL get info from your bank at odd hours.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned - depending upon your bank and its Quicken capabiliites - there is a proxy download to grab the data.
    What bank ?
    Also, as mentioned - have you enabled the Quicken Mobile App or use Quicken on the Web via the Quicken Sync ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    No I do not connect to my bank with any of the three interactions.

Dollar Bank in Pittsburgh PA.

No I do not do mobile banking and do not even have Quicken on my cell phone.

When the one alert was flagged by my bank, I was not in my Quicken on my PC all day. In fact, that alert was over Memorial Day when I was at the township park honoring our fallen heroes from 07:30 to about 17:00 hrs and the alert came in at 15:50 hrs. By the time I got home I just wanted to get something to eat and go to bed. Did not even turn my PC on.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dollar Bank - which exact name of the 2 listed below are you using for your Quicken Accounts ?
    and how do you enter transactions -
    - totally manual ?
    - download from the Dollar Bank online website and Import into Quicken ?
    - download directly with Quicken using One Step Update ?

17677    17677    17677    Dollar Bank - WC    https://www.dollar.bank/    1-412-261-4988    https://online.dollar.bank/SignIn.aspx    ACTIVE        
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

65956    65956    65956    Dollar Bank, FSB - Enhanced CashAN    https://www.dollar.bank    1-412-261-4988    https://cashanalyzer.bankonline.com/s1gcb/logon/sbuser    ACTIVE                  
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    Ps56k2 Thank you for the response. I do not connect to my bank via Quicken for anything. In answer to your questions of;

- download from the Dollar Bank online website and Import into Quicken ? No I do not do this.
    - download directly with Quicken using One Step Update ? No I do not do this with my bank.

I fill out Quicken as spending, transfers, etc. during the month. When I get my banks monthly statement in PDF format, I go through the Quicken registry and check each transaction manually.

When I login to my bank it is at https://dollar.bank.

I do not want to have Quicken or any other applications to have access to my bank accounts. Call me old fashion but too many stories of companies being hacked and information stolen about logins and passwords have left me not wanting these kinds of electronic connections.

Have been using Quicken since it was only three 3.5" floppy disks for install (1990's). I have never had it connecting to my bank directly. I did at one time download a qif file and update quicken but when I got with my present bank they did not offer that so I stopped using that aspect.

Thank you,
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you use Quicken Bill Pay?
    That would be another third party that Quicken Inc uses.
    If that isn't the case then what I would suggest is changing your username at the bank.
    That way whatever has the information will be blocked from access in a way that doesn't get connected to your account.  Note if you only change your password then you would get failed login attempts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark M said: Over the last three weeks Quicken, more correctly Windstream Communications, has been trying to access my bank account.
    OK.... so what makes you think this is Quicken ?
    Do you use Windstream for your local Internet or TV provider ?
    If "they" are making access to your banking accts - then is it for auto bill pay ?
    OR - Maybe someone is on Windstream as their ISP - and trying to hack into your bank accts ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    Mark M said: Over the last three weeks Quicken, more correctly Windstream Communications, has been trying to access my bank account.
    OK.... so what makes you think this is Quicken ?
    Do you use Windstream for your local Internet or TV provider ?
    If "they" are making access to your banking accts - then is it for auto bill pay ?
    OR - Maybe someone is on Windstream as their ISP - and trying to hack into your bank accts ?

I see nothing  to indicate that Windstream is part of  Q/Intuit.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    I have no know affiliation with Windstream as far as I know. Have OTA TV and internet is by Consolidated Communications. They do not have access to my account.
  • Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for the responses.

I got another alert message from my bank, so I called them again today. Person seem to know a little more about the IP address 64.41.181.xxx and it is from a company called Yodlee of which Windstream is one of there subscribers of their service.

"Yodlee is an American software company that develops an account aggregation service that allows users to see their credit card, bank, investment, email, travel reward accounts, etc. on one screen."
    I am not sure who might have this "on one screen" capability. I only have this in my Quicken but as stated, I do not connect even my banking information for download within Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The company Yodlee I do recognize.  They are one of the big players in the "aggregator" field, like Intuit is.

By any chance are you "consolidating" accounts at one of your financial institutions?
    As an example, I can go into the USAA login and "add external accounts" to be viewed with my USAA accounts.  The way that is done is with an "aggregator" like 
    Yodlee.  When adding you provide the username/password and "nightly" they get transactions/balances for displaying in that account.

At any rate I think my advise of changing the username is the best way to block such access.

Also given that it is 
    Yodlee, I think that the likelihood of this being any kind of "hacking" is very low.  More likely a forgotten use of some service.
    Signature:
  • fritzngertie
    fritzngertie Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with my bank blocking me from signing in due to 3 attempts to sign in with the wrong password. The solution for me was to change my user ID. I have had to do this 3 times in the past year. When I query the bank they said that the sign-on attempts were made from my IP address. They also said that Quicken will attempt to access my bank accounts WITHOUT being prompted by me (Quicken one-step update). Could this be true?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If it is from your IP address then the question would be are you using scheduled updates?

If it is from an different IP (as in one from Intuit) it is certainly true that Express Web Connect account are logged into without you running One Step Update, scheduled updates, or even starting Quicken since it is the Intuit server logging in.
    Signature:
  • Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    Yes it is a different IP address then the one my ISP uses. If it is an Express Web Connect account, which I have mentioned I do not use, Why would this have only started with in the last couple of weeks?
  • Mark M
    Mark M Member ✭✭
    I am not consolidating accounts anywhere except inside Quicken. I do not want any online institution to have information on all of my accounts in case they get hacked.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry @Mark M I should have quoted @fritzngertie question in my reply.  My comment was about this comment:
    I am having the same problem with my bank blocking me from signing in due to 3 attempts to sign in with the wrong password. The solution for me was to change my user ID. I have had to do this 3 times in the past year. When I query the bank they said that the sign-on attempts were made from my IP address. They also said that Quicken will attempt to access my bank accounts WITHOUT being prompted by me (Quicken one-step update). Could this be true?

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.