archive?

mtatwo
mtatwo Member ✭✭
is there ever a reason to archive data in quicken deluxe? can the database get too big, such that it won't open? I have 2900 transactions, 5 years of data.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, mine goes back to 1996 and is running fine.
    I don't keep attachments of the statements or receipts since the only way to get them out is one at a time via Quicken.
    The only known way for a file to get "too" big is if you are a day trader (or just do a lot of trading) and have lots of investment transactions and then it only slows down if you are doing something that involves those accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, mine goes back to 1996 and is running fine.
    I don't keep attachments of the statements or receipts since the only way to get them out is one at a time via Quicken.
    The only known way for a file to get "too" big is if you are a day trader (or just do a lot of trading) and have lots of investment transactions and then it only slows down if you are doing something that involves those accounts.

• mtatwo
    mtatwo Member ✭✭
    good to know. thank you!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention, I do NOT use Quicken Mobile or Quicken Web.  I only work with Quicken on my Win10 Desktop computer and do Direct Connect and Web Connect downloads, no Express Web Connect, yes, doing WC vs EWC takes more time, but I have never had a corrupted data file.

• 011ver
    011ver Member ✭✭
    Mine goes back to 1994, and I use it for both personal (including investment and retirement accounts) and business (sole proprietorship - includes separate bank accounts, categories and accounts receivable). I have a seriously ailing CPU on my desktop and whether it's that or file size (46033 transactions, almost 150K), it started to run too slowly and I have just archived 1994-2014. Never had corruption however. I have never used Quicken Mobile or Quicken Web either, use Direct Connect and Web Connect but not Express Web Connect, and plan to upgrade that CPU before Win11 hits. I keep the data file in the cloud by the way and access from desktop, laptop and tablet.
This discussion has been closed.