How do I get Quicken to enter the category from my online payees list when I manually enter?

Options
How do I get Quicken to enter the category from my online payees list when I manually enter? Some of my online payees have a category, but most just say "online payee". How do I assign a category to an online payee??

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Brad Warner,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your question.

Could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Unfortunately, Quicken does not currently offer the ability to assign categories via the Online Payee List. Assigning and/or changing categories to payees can be done through the Memorized Payee List (Tools > Memorized Payee List).

First, you will want to check and make sure that you have your preferences set to automatically save payees to the Memorized Payee List. You can do so by navigating to Edit > Preferences... > Data entry and QuickFill > QuickFill and Memorized Payees > Check and make sure the box for Automatically memorize new payees is checked (see example below). If it is not checked, go ahead and check it.

Then, when you create your first payment using an Online Payee, the category is assigned at that time. With the setting shown above checked, it will auto-memorize with the selected category, or you can right-click the transaction in the register and choose the Memorize Payee... (Ctrl+M) option.

Additionally, as mentioned previously, you can also add/change a category for any payee in the Memorized Payee List by navigating to Tools > Memorized Payee List > right-click the Payee name > click Edit. Then, the Edit Memorized Payee window will open, and you can now add/change the category as well as make any other desired changes.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.