New Backup Not Working (R34.13) - Quicken wont close...

Spotteddog
Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
The new backup dialog in R34.13 isn't working for me. When I close Quicken, the new dialog comes up. I do the backup. When the backup is done, Quicken does not close. The only way to get it closed is to close it in the Task Manager. 

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Spotteddog,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent pre-update backup that you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file that was saved prior to updating to version R34.13 to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Anja,
    There is nothing wrong with my data file or my backups. As I said, once the backup finishes, Quicken freezes and the only way I can close Quicken is to close it with the task manager.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am having the exact same issue.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Spotteddog & @Don Bartenstein

Thank you for sharing the details of this behavior with the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I attempted to replicate this behavior in my personal data file, however when I attempt to create a backup from the File menu > Copy or Backup dialogue window, the complete backup and copy of the file both complete successfully. 

I would like to investigate this matter further and wanted to inquire about the exact steps you are taking to create the backup.

Is this happening with an automatic backup set to run after opening Quicken an "x" number of times?

Or is your data file set to create a manual backup each time Quicken is closed?

If this happens when selecting the "Complete Backup" option from the Copy & Backup dialogue window, may I ask, where is the backup file being saved? 

On your local computer/hard drive?  Or to an online solution such as One Drive, Dropbox, etc.?

Or, if you are perhaps following a different flow to create the backup, please share the steps being taken.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Don Bartenstein
    For me, I got it the first time I closed Quicken after the new update was installed.  I normally do an 'x number of times (3)' to a OneDrive folder.  It has not reoccurred since that first time though, so my particular installation may be past it.
  • Don Bartenstein
    For me, I got it the first time I closed Quicken after the new update was installed.  I normally do an 'x number of times (3)' to a OneDrive folder.  It has not reoccurred since that first time though, so my particular installation may be past it.
    So we aren't past it.  Today I got prompted for doing the back up (3x setting) and it went into the "wizard" (on its own, I didn't ask for the wizard) instead of the normal backup dialog.  After I walked through the wizard the application is hung with no response.  Not sure what triggers this wizard, instead of the normal backup I am configured for, but it is irritating.
  • Don Bartenstein
    So we aren't past it.  Today I got prompted for doing the back up (3x setting) and it went into the "wizard" (on its own, I didn't ask for the wizard) instead of the normal backup dialog.  After I walked through the wizard the application is hung with no response.  Not sure what triggers this wizard, instead of the normal backup I am configured for, but it is irritating.
    Additional:  It appears that I can do anything with the application _except_ exit normally......  All other functions I usually use are available with the exception of "exit", either from the menu or the red X.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Why does this item show as "answered"?
  • Chris Schwark
    Chris Schwark Member ✭✭✭
    I have this issue as well. It closes normally on non manual backup closures (I only do full manual backup every 5 times I open Quicken). It does the usual dialogue and even gives me the "backup created successfully" pop up, but then I'm left with Quicken open, but just showing the border / toolbar and the screen is otherwise white. It's hanging somewhere in the close after full backup dialogue. I then have to kill it via task manager.

To answer the questions above, I do auto backup every time I run quicken, but this only happens when the MANUAL backup reminder happens (every 5 times). My manual backup is saved to my local HDD. (which is my google drive folder, but it's saved to my HDD and the upload to google is independent of Quicken). Yes, I do the complete backup option.

Hopefully this helps the moderator troubleshoot. I can answer further process questions, but I'm not interested in rolling back to a previous version, but would rather see this fixed.

(additionally, i saw that there was a conflict with Norton AV, which I run and don't know if this is behind the root cause). Let me know if you want to know more about how Norton reacted to latest update.
  • Add me to the list of people having this issue. It started as soon as the latest update got installed.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Looks like y'all fixed it with this latest update.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.