Renaming Rules Frustration [edited]

Options
FireStorm
FireStorm Member
[removed - no soliciting]
Every time I download, Quicken names all the transactions 'Citibank'. I've spoken with Quicken, and their solution is to select every transaction and tell the system the real name. Well, I don't know about you, but I do have the time or patience to rename every transaction that I download. Quicken makes adjustments that don't seem to fit the accounting. I dislike Quicken. They have screwed up a program that use to work. [removed - no soliciting]

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's naming every transaction as Citibank because YOU (not a Quicken error) have created a Renaming rule that's so generic, so badly formed, that every transaction matches it.
    There's nothing that Q can do to fix this.  YOU must correct the Renaming Rule (to prevent future occurrences) and then turn on the "Downloaded Payee" column in your register(s) to see what the original payee was.  Do this by clicking the Gear icon, to the far right across from your account name(s) and then clicking "Register Columns" and then "Downloaded Payee".
    Next, WHY would it not let you select another payee?  How were you doing this and what exactly happened?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll also note that this is the 1st message that you've posted.  So you've never previously sought help, which could have alleviated much of your frustration.

• FireStorm
    FireStorm Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Didn't post because I've found these blogs usually do not help, and I didn't know there was blog. AND, I've called x3 for help with Quicken to no avail. [Removed - No Soliciting]
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    [removed - off-topic/argumentative/unhelpful]

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @FireStorm

My name is Sarah and I am the Senior Moderator here in the Quicken Community.  I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us, although I apologize for the frustration and unresolved contacts with Quicken Support.

From the behavior described, it does indeed sound as though a Renaming Rule could be the root of this issue, when you have a moment, please go to the Edit menu in Quicken and select Preferences.

In the window that opens, select Downloaded Transactions from the list on the left side, then the "Renaming Rules" button from the right pane.

Is there an entry for Citibank in the list?  Please let us know.

I would also like to look further into the three contacts with Quicken Support, were you provided with a case number for the contacts?

If not, do you happen to know the date of when these interactions occurred and if they were phone or chat connections?

Thank you,

Sarah
  • FireStorm
    FireStorm Member
    Options
    Followed your instructions, and there is not a Citibank on the list. What does it mean when there is not a Citibank on the list? I will have transactions in different downloads from banks and credit cards that all say Citibank. I even have transactions download from one entity but the category names entirely different entities. For Example: Import from American Express. The American Express transactions state the category is Wells Fargo, and yes, I checked the category on the original account to make sure that is correct.

I did not keep track of the times I called for nothing worked right, and I just struggled. It is today, that I've become so frustrated, that I sought additional help. That is when I found this blog.
  • FireStorm
    FireStorm Member
    Options
    Just so I don't confuse you, when I say 'Citibank', it is in the Payee column. The program does not import the name of the Payee. Assigns the transaction to 'Citibank'.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FireStorm said:
    Just so I don't confuse you, when I say 'Citibank', it is in the Payee column. The program does not import the name of the Payee. Assigns the transaction to 'Citibank'.
    So, what's in the Downloaded Payee column? 
    And what exactly do you mean by "assigns the transaction"?  To the Payee column? Or the Category column? Or is the transaction downloaded into your account named Citibank?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.