Quicken 2009 Conversions to install on new Win10 computer

JCC555
JCC555 Member ✭✭
Greetings –

I am using Quicken 2009 Deluxe on WIN 7. But I need a new PC and will be upgrading to WIN 10. Like all of you, I have a lot of important data that I don’t want to lose as I upgrade, and so I have studied the excellent discussions relating to Quicken 2009 conversions and associated issues. I would like to summarize them briefly here to make doubly sure I know what I’m doing, and I obviously welcome any corrections or clarifications.

1. Quicken 2009 and WIN 10 – If I understand things correctly, I should be able to run Quicken 2009 on WIN 10. But I would need to install again the original patch – QW09R7Patch.exe.

2. Mondo Patch – Is only applicable to very recent versions of Quicken running on WIN 10; it does not apply here when/if I install Quicken 2009 on WIN 10.

3. Pre-2010 Quicken Files – Cannot be converted to later versions of Quicken unless they are first converted to Quicken 2010 or a later version. Once done they can however be opened and converted by any more recent version.

4. Quicken 2013 – If one does not wish to use online services to download transactions, or to deal with the Quicken ID issue, then Quicken 2013 seems to be an optimal choice. Plus, it is free, and will run on WIN 7 and/or WIN 10.

5. Quicken 2013 Patch Question – I am not clear on this. I presume I need to install a corresponding patch. If so, which one? QW2013R12Patch.exe or QW2013MR12Patch.exe (or perhaps some other patch)? Could someone help me with this? Thank you.

6. Quicken 2009 to Quicken 2013 Conversion – I’m inclined to go with Quicken 2013 for the reasons stated, and do so for the moment on my present WIN 7 computer.

Just to make sure, do I correctly understand the process? – 1) backup the Quicken 2009 files and close program; 2) download and install QW2013DLX.exe; 3) follow the on-screen instructions to install and convert the Quicken 2009 files to Quicken 2013 (with all data files now rolled up into a single QDF file format); 4) install the appropriate Quicken 2013 patch?; 5) my old Quicken 2009 program will be automatically uninstalled in the process.

7. Additional Options – Then, at this point, if I wanted to do so, I could install Quicken 2013 on WIN 10, or install, for example, Quicken 2021 on WIN 10, copy the data file(s?), open them, and proceed.

Have I missed anything?

Thank you so much for your help on this issue.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    2. Mondo patches are not specific to Windows 10.  Intuit started providing Mondo patches with Quicken 2010.  When using the regular patches, we needed to apply the patches incrementally.  A Mondo patch includes all the previous patch changes in one large patch.

3. Counter to the documentation, there is some belief the recent Quicken versions are able to directly convert Quicken data file sets directly from as early as Quicken 2004. 

5. I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2013 Release 12 Mondo Patch (QW2013MR12Patch.exe).  The regular Quicken 2013 Release 12 patch (QW2013R12Patch.exe) may be used to update from Quicken 2013 Release 11.

6.  Installing Quicken 2013 over Quicken 2009, should remove Quicken 2009.  You may need to perform a manual clean uninstall: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.  I would apply the Quicken 2013 Release 12 Mondo Patch before converting the Quicken 2009 formatted files but the conversion should succeed either way.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    EDIT for clarity.

One slight correction to what @Sherlock said.  With the exception of some really old patches (2004/2008 which are incremental) "non Mondo/regular" patches may or may not be "incremental", and most aren't incremental.

The main difference in is in fact in how the two deal with file version numbers.
    Most files that are installed have a version number in them.

With the "regular" patch install it looks at the version number and if the file version is equal or greater than the one it has in the patch, it will skip installing that file.

With the "Mondo" patch install it ignores the version number and always overwrites the file.

The tradeoff here is suppose to be the speed of the install vs overwriting files that might be corrupted.

In reality the speed of the install is seldom an issue, and it is much more important to overwrite files that might be corrupted.  That is why Quicken Inc has gone to only putting out the Mondo patch install for manual updating.

I'm not sure if the updates the send automatically these days are "regular" or Mondo.  And for that matter if they are incremental or not.  In any case those aren't available to download outside of Quicken's automatic download system.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sherlock -- thank you very much!

I have one additional followup question: what would be a sign that I would need to run a "manual clean uninstall"?

Much appreciated!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    JCC555 said:

I have one additional followup question: what would be a sign that I would need to run a "manual clean uninstall"?

Much appreciated!
    The install will fail and tell you.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    JCC555 said:  ... discussions relating to Quicken 2009 conversions and associated issues...
    [EDIT] - had updated topic title after initial posting to better reflect actual Q&A and discussion

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    2. Mondo patches are not specific to Windows 10.  Intuit started providing Mondo patches with Quicken 2010.  When using the regular patches, we needed to apply the patches incrementally.  A Mondo patch includes all the previous patch changes in one large patch.

3. Counter to the documentation, there is some belief the recent Quicken versions are able to directly convert Quicken data file sets directly from as early as Quicken 2004. 

5. I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2013 Release 12 Mondo Patch (QW2013MR12Patch.exe).  The regular Quicken 2013 Release 12 patch (QW2013R12Patch.exe) may be used to update from Quicken 2013 Release 11.

6.  Installing Quicken 2013 over Quicken 2009, should remove Quicken 2009.  You may need to perform a manual clean uninstall: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.  I would apply the Quicken 2013 Release 12 Mondo Patch before converting the Quicken 2009 formatted files but the conversion should succeed either way.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    EDIT for clarity.

One slight correction to what @Sherlock said.  With the exception of some really old patches (2004/2008 which are incremental) "non Mondo/regular" patches may or may not be "incremental", and most aren't incremental.

The main difference in is in fact in how the two deal with file version numbers.
    Most files that are installed have a version number in them.

With the "regular" patch install it looks at the version number and if the file version is equal or greater than the one it has in the patch, it will skip installing that file.

With the "Mondo" patch install it ignores the version number and always overwrites the file.

The tradeoff here is suppose to be the speed of the install vs overwriting files that might be corrupted.

In reality the speed of the install is seldom an issue, and it is much more important to overwrite files that might be corrupted.  That is why Quicken Inc has gone to only putting out the Mondo patch install for manual updating.

I'm not sure if the updates the send automatically these days are "regular" or Mondo.  And for that matter if they are incremental or not.  In any case those aren't available to download outside of Quicken's automatic download system.
    Signature:
  • JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Much appreciated!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    JCC555 said:

Much appreciated!
    The install will fail and tell you.
    Signature:
  • JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW -- So, I take it, the preference is for the Mondo patch for completion and accuracy. Is that correct?

And, thank you!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    JCC555 said:
    Chris_QPW -- So, I take it, the preference is for the Mondo patch for completion and accuracy. Is that correct?

And, thank you!
    Yes, that is correct.
    Signature:
  • JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    By the way, if this conversion process fails for some reason, and I can't find my old CD of Quicken 2009, is there anyplace to download a version of it if need be?

Thank you, again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    JCC555 said:
    By the way, if this conversion process fails for some reason, and I can't find my old CD of Quicken 2009, is there anyplace to download a version of it if need be?

Thank you, again.
    No, you have to have the install program.

BTW a side note, in my opinion the only reason Quicken 2013 is made available is because of a mistake made by Intuit.

When Quicken 2014 came out it was discovered that it wouldn't open/convert Quicken 2009 and below data files.  So as a workaround they posted the Quicken 2013 install.  They fixed Quicken 2014's problem with a patch, but never removed the Quicken 2013 install.  And to this day they haven't even changed the message saying that you have to use it for updating from Quicken 2009 through Quicken 2004.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    JCC555 said:

Thank you, again.
    If you can not access the Quicken 2009 installation program and want to revert back to Quicken 2009, I suggest you restore a system image you saved before Quicken 2009 is removed.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    JCC555 said:  ... discussions relating to Quicken 2009 conversions and associated issues...
    [EDIT] - had updated topic title after initial posting to better reflect actual Q&A and discussion

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    Thank you again for these excellent answers and clarifications. Solid reminder about imaging the SSD before doing the conversion. You hard work saves so many users from serious errors and hours of confusion.
  • JCC555
    JCC555 Member ✭✭
    FYI Update: the conversion worked flawlessly. Outstanding support. Thanks, again.
This discussion has been closed.