Quicken works on Windows 11

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭

I’d like to report that I installed Windows 11 Pro preview/dev build 22000.51 and Quicken (latest version) seems to be working just fine.

Win11 installation took about 4 hours total as I installed it on a 10 years old Dell Latitude E5430 core-i3 laptop.  I replaced the SSD with an old regular 5200-RPM disk drive and reduced the memory to 4GB RAM just to push the limits.  Then I installed a few of my programs and utilities including Quicken and all are working.  The user experience of Win11 is not much different from Win10 as of now.

NOTE: I recommend against installing Win11 on your main computer.

Cheers and happy 4th!

ADDED: Laptop's TPM version is 1.2!

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting info.  Thanks for posting it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    You're a brave soul. 
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Rumor has it Win 11 won't install on old cores below 7th generation. You blew that up, LOL.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly @markus1957, and yes @gooddog50 .  I edited it to include that my TPM version is 1.2 and the requirement is 2.0.  I went against all odds and so far all programs work as they did before, except bit slower due to less memory and traditional drive.  I was somewhat disappointed as I expected bigger difference and issues.  Uneventful!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The "requirements" of Windows 11 were not stated exactly correctly, and are subject to change.

The very fact that your machine has TPM at all puts it a leg up on a lot of machines that might be kicked out.

There seems to a lot of confusion (some of it straight from Microsoft) of why these requirements were created and if they will really be enforced when Windows 11 comes out.

For instance given a newer processor you don't need TPM on your machine at all.
    The same functions are built into the newer processors.  On my machine I had to turn on the feature in the BIOS, but that was about it.  Note I didn't actually install Windows 11, this was just to make the "compatibility checker" happy.

Personally after looking at the goals of these requirements I'm probably going to take the tack of making sure that my primary machines are all running Windows 11 with the "requirements" even if Microsoft lessens them for the final release.  (With my "secondary" machines being ones that are old and only used for occasional testing.)

TPM allows for hardware protection of the encryption keys.  Keeping these private is vital for security.
    The "newer processors" is needed for Windows 11 to do more virtualizing of processes.  As in, get the hardware to protect from one process that has been compromised by a virus to attack other processes/the operating system.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I came across this article today:
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/29/download-windows-11-how-to-get-the-first-preview-build/

In it there is this information:

Signature:
  • I installed Window 11 Preview, the latest, in a VM. Everything works in there so far except Quicken. Quicken installs. It opens my data file. But as soon as I click on an account it starts using high CPU and the Windows Antimalware kicks in. Quicken is locked and I have to kill it. I have tried all fixes for this issue (like uninstall Quicken completely and reinstall it). Still does the same thing.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I also use it on a VM and Quicken runs perfect.  I am using the native Hyper-V Gen-2 VM that comes pre-installed with Win10 Pro.  But I also have a hi-end late model i7 11th Gen laptop.  So not only it works on my very old unsupported laptop with Win11, but also on my new one running on a Win11 VM.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I installed Window 11 Preview, the latest, in a VM. Everything works in there so far except Quicken. Quicken installs. It opens my data file. But as soon as I click on an account it starts using high CPU and the Windows Antimalware kicks in. Quicken is locked and I have to kill it. I have tried all fixes for this issue (like uninstall Quicken completely and reinstall it). Still does the same thing.
    The fix to this would seem to white/exclude Quicken from the scan.
    Signature:
  • Don Gollahon
    Don Gollahon Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    @Chris_QPW , @BK I did get it running. I use VMWare Workstation Player on FerenOS host (a Linux distro).

I first went in and added quicken app and data paths to the Windows Exclusions. That didn't help. But I left the exclusions there just to be safe. Then I totally uninstalled Quicken again and reinstalled it (for the 2nd time). It is working fine now.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    An update for the curious folks,
    I installed the Win11 Beta in June with Quicken on it on a very old spare laptop and worked just fine.  I switched running it on a Virtual Machine (built-in Win10 Pro's Hyper-V) off of my main laptop in Aug and I am now on the official release of 21H2.  I have not had any issues with Quicken or any other programs.  I ran Quicken R32.12 and above and now the latest.  Frankly it has been such a boring non-event that I do not see any compelling rush to upgrade to Win11.
    I plan to keep my main system on Win10 for the time being.  If you are not technical, I recommend waiting and read online reviews and updates.  Cheers.

• Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    Running Windows 11 as of 10/6/21. Using Quicken Deluxe ver. R36.23. Seeing / having no issues with Win 11 and Quicken Deluxe.