Delete extraneous window in register?

Quicken 2013 Deluxe (upgraded from 2010). The register shows three windows. The upper window shows the transactions, a central window shows the number of transactions, ending balance, and for credit cards the credit remaining; the lower window has tabs (Download Transactions & Reminders). How do I get rid of the central window as it just wastes space? Thanks.

Murray
Tagged:

Best Answers

• OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    UKR; Thanks for all the suggestions but, to skip to the point, everything is working quite well except for that pesky "balance" window. PC is a 17", 1920 x 1080 display running 125% magnification or the icons are unreadable. Second monitor is a 24". 1920 x 1080 at 100% so the images are the essentially the same size. I typically have stuff on both displays. The difference in the magnification keeps things visually the same to make cut-and-paste easy. The Quicken displays look good on either monitor. I did check through your suggested setting changes and found I was okay. One tweak I made was to go to a 9 font instead of the 10 and that looks better.

Bottom line is I will ignore that annoying window as I've already put in too much effort!

Thanks to all for your help.

Murray
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There isn’t any way to remove the balance line.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Quicken 2013.  The middle area should be only like 1 line.  Maybe try closing the bottom download area.   There is a little collapse/expand arrow on the right side.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I progressed through 2010 to 2013 and I'm now on the subscription product and I don't think the registers for spending Accounts have changed materially over all that time.  I certainly don't remember a "central" window.  Here's how they look now in subscription which I believe is pretty much how they looked in 2010 and 2013.

If rebooting Windows and opening and closing Quicken doesn't straighten things out, maybe post a picture?

• OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    That just shrinks the bottom window.What I want to remove is the window in your example that says 5 transactions, ending balance 43.90. For only one line of information (that I don't really need!), it takes up more than 5 lines!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not talking about extra blank register lines above that total line?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    Volvogirl: No, I'm talking about the space taken by the # transactions and balance. I see it shows up in your example. I looked through all the options and settings but could not find anything to get rid of it.

[BTW, I am on my 4th Volvo!]

Tom: Thanks to Microsoft's almost daily updates to Windows 10, I have been through many reboots and re-openings of Quicken. :-(

Murray
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please show us a screen image snapshot of your entire screen, not just the Quicken window, but also everything else visible on your monitor.
    That should give us an idea on how Quicken appears on your monitor and what we can suggest to help matters.
    To create the snapshot press SHIFT-PrtScreen.
    Open MS Paint (or any other image editor program) and use the Paste button to copy the captured image into Paint. Black out any visible personal information. Save the image to your Pictures folder as a .PNG file, e.g. Capture.PNG
    Drag the saved file into your next reply (Comment) here.
  • OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    Here you go. Not sure that will help much. Interesting that it captures my laptop and the screen extended to the old monitor,
  • OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    BTW, it looks very much like what volvogirl and Tom have shown above.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldGrouch said:
    Here you go. Not sure that will help much. Interesting that it captures my laptop and the screen extended to the old monitor,

Thanks for the image.
    SHIFT-PrtScreen captures the entire memory area that is configured as "the monitor". If, per your Windows configuration, your screen extends over two or more monitors, everything is captured.
    If you no longer have or use the 2nd monitor, change your Windows configuration to only use the "PC screen".
    In your Quicken window you only have 10 register lines, yet you occupy nearly the entire screen. That leads me to believe that Quicken and all the rest is running at a large display magnification factor (to make text easy to read).
    What kind of screen do you have? 4k hi res on a Windows 10 PC?
    Quicken 2013 was designed more along the lines of VGA screens or similar with resolutions around 1024x768 or higher, 1280x1024 minimum for Large Fonts settings. Hopefully some of this will help:

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10:  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!)
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Try this workaround for 4k monitors
      https://www.quicken.com/support/work-around-display-issues-high-resolution-monitors
    • Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard (if available in your version)
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level, but try not to exceed 125%
    And no, none of the above will get rid of the account balances line. But it may make a few more register lines available in your Quicken window.
    You're running on an old, unsupported version. WYSIWYG.
  • OldGrouch
    OldGrouch Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    UKR; Thanks for all the suggestions but, to skip to the point, everything is working quite well except for that pesky "balance" window. PC is a 17", 1920 x 1080 display running 125% magnification or the icons are unreadable. Second monitor is a 24". 1920 x 1080 at 100% so the images are the essentially the same size. I typically have stuff on both displays. The difference in the magnification keeps things visually the same to make cut-and-paste easy. The Quicken displays look good on either monitor. I did check through your suggested setting changes and found I was okay. One tweak I made was to go to a 9 font instead of the 10 and that looks better.

Bottom line is I will ignore that annoying window as I've already put in too much effort!

Thanks to all for your help.

Murray
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There isn’t any way to remove the balance line.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/