Provide a toolbar Icon for Backup(CTL-B)

Bob_L
Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
As a part of the recent changes regarding backup and copy, the Backup Icon that used to be on my toolbar has been changed to do a "backup and copy".  This means having to hit Next to get to what I wanted, i.e. Backup.  Please provide a new icon that provides just Backup (CTL-B). 

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Tagged:
18 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Swift
    Swift Member
    Yes, please! Every time I use Quicken I back up just prior to exiting, and the extra steps are annoying!
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try to keep a much used process simple to use!
  • Richard Burke
    Richard Burke Member ✭✭
    Totally agree. Breaking changes are very annoying!!! Please allow me to create a toolbar button that goes straight to the Quicken Backup dialog.
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    Good idea, would be a helpful addition.
  • hepburnmarke
    hepburnmarke Member
    Completely agree. I use Ctrl-B but if the mouse is in my hand why can't I just click the (formerly) adequate icon?

Because they don't beta test apparently.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they don't beta test apparently.
    A Beta test is to determine if something functions properly.  NOT to see if it's a good idea.
    And the Beta testers have NO SAY in such design decisions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• hepburnmarke
    hepburnmarke Member
    While i do agree that the testers will have to comment on the design decisions, it is in my opinion safe to say that a reasonably large pool of testers would comment on the changes.

And as to what a beta tester actually does, and what the purpose is, goes beyond simply seeing if something functions properly. It is a validation method to not only determine functionality, but also to allow end users to weigh in on such decisions including design, functionality, and usability. This provides insights into the product overall, and guides final decisions most typically on release candidates.

Beta testing is generally done with the intent to do a COMPLETE evaluation of the product as it would be used as released.

Depending on the product type, the range of beta testers will vary. For example, when testing for something like a CAD application, the testers will likely be skewed more toward engineers, draftsmen, and such. On the other hand, a product like Quicken or Office (in which I have been a beta tester for years now), will be comprised of a wide range of people with varied skill levels and concerns.

It also depends on the perspective of those conducting the test. For example, a UI engineer will be VERY interested not only in the users' overall satisfaction, but also the details and intricacies of the product. This will include things such as we are discussing in this thread. Namely, the change of a Backup icon on the toolbar, menu options and their location, dropdown selectors, yada yada yada. On the other hand, the marketing geniuses have a different although probably overlapping set of concerns.

Then of course is the real-world compatibility testing on a variety of platforms: mobile, web, and the OS as well. How does the user experience on Linux compare with Mac or Windows, etc? Or IOS relative to Android?

Then there are localization issues. For example, I've been in an ongoing beta group for Thunderbird. At issue is the CC: and BCC: fields, which in previous versions functioned differently and now, having transitioned from version 68.x to 78.x (as released), function differently. The focus for us is how to provide a solution that works for long time users and still offers a great experience for new users. This is not about if it functions; it is about if it functions to the satisfaction of the user. Big difference. And that is what Beta is for: evaluating a pre-release product to see if it is ready for release, and what needs to be done to make it so.

Perhaps you are thinking of Alpha testing? this would be more about function.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On the subject of what is Beta testing, I'm sure you would get a lot of different opinions on this from different people/companies, since this isn't something that is fixed in granite.

But I think what @NotACPA is talking about tends to be what Quicken Inc has shown to be their policy.
    As in by the time it hits beta they seldom change features unless there is a really large uproar about it or some major flaw in the design.  But that goes for past beta too.  That is one reason for these Idea threads and voting on them, if enough people vote for a change and if the managers/developers feel that that change makes sense, it might get changed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I concur with the recommendation that there needs to be a Quicken Toolbar icon which performs exactly the same as pressing CTRL-B … start a data file backup process.

OTOH, and while everybody's waiting for the programmers to do something about it … how about configuring Quicken to perform a backup automatically every [1] time you close Quicken and then get used to shutting down Quicken when you're done working with it for the day.
    The built-in default Preferences in Edit / Preferences / Backup are, IMHO, not sufficient.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

For this discussion it is also assumed that your Quicken data file is named, for example, QDATA.QDF

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup
    should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or
    USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2020-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the
    Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!