Asset Allocation Reports for Quicken Mac (as on Quicken 2007/Windows) (14 merged votes)

2»

Comments

• Burt128
    Burt128 Member
    edited July 2021
    [removed - rant/disruptive/unhelpful]
  • SGBond
    SGBond Member ✭✭
    Please add Asset Allocation to Mac. I'm really struggling at Home Finance 101 on a Mac, without this basic capability. thx.
  • pjw7
    pjw7 Member ✭✭✭
    I need to calculate asset allocation in my taxable and registered investment accounts. Also my total asset allocation percentages, using iMac.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @pjw7  Until the developers add features to report on your asset allocation, you can create a report for yourself. First, click on the investing accounts or account groups in the left sidebar which you want to include in your allocation: Brokerage (for non-retirement accounts), Retirement, or Investing (for all accounts). Set your filters for Portfolio Value, Group by Security. If you don't currently have Asset Class as one of your columns, click the columns icon and double-click Asset Allocation to add it to your displayed columns. Now click on the Asset Class heading to sort the securities by asset class. Finally, you can export your portfolio view to a CSV file and open it in Numbers or Excel; there you can easily calculate the percentage of each asset class.

This is just a workaround, of course. Obviously, most people interested in tracking their investments would like to be able to generate such a report at a click of a button in Quicken… and hopefully we'll see such a feature in the not-too-distant future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Javier
    Javier Member
    Please add Asset Allocation to Mac
  • pjw7
    pjw7 Member ✭✭✭
    I need to split up certain investments, particularly balanced etfs nd mutual funds, so that I can allocate the fixed income, or foreign income portion separately. Is there a way to add to or change the Asset Class category list?
  • jacobs
    @pjw7 It sounds like what you’re asking for is not more asset classes, but a way to specify a breakdown of classes for a security — a feature which exists in Quicken Windows. When you download version 6.3 (now in stages release), you’ll see the first piece of Asset Allocation tools in the new Dashboard view for investments. It’s very limited and not very transparent about how it’s calculating the values, but it is clearly pulling in theirs-party information about the makeup of mutual funds and ETFs. 
  • Dave W.
    Dave W. Member ✭✭
    I would love to have an asset allocation report and the ability to classify assets with custom asset categories in Quicken for Mac, exactly as I can in Quicken for Windows.

I find this report vital to my investment strategy and the lack of this functionality in Quicken for Mac is causing me to run Quicken through a Windows Emulator which does not provide a very good Quicken user experience.
  • Carefree
    Carefree Member ✭✭
    Add me to this list of those that feel this is essential.
  • pjw7
    pjw7 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, add me too!
  • James Mayhew
    James Mayhew Member ✭✭
    Asset Allocation is critically important for anyone managing an investment portfolio, please add either the ability to customize the categories or at least have the standard categories used by Morningstar and virtually all brokers (Large Cap Value, Large Cap Growth, etc.). Quicken Windows version has unusable built-in categories, but lets you add limited customized categories which makes it somewhat useful - could you at least give us that for Quicken Mac? Quicken 2007 (still using it even though it means I can't upgrade MacOS) had the goal feature which was user-defined and was used by many to input allocation categories. Asset allocation is the one thing that would make quicken windows and quicken mac usable for managing investments and let me finally leave Q2007 behind!
  • jacobs
    edited October 2022
    @James Mayhew Quicken Mac now has some, but not all, of what you're asking for. As of the latest 6.5 release, you can now view and edit the asset mixture for any security which is not 100% in a single asset class. For instance, Apple stock falls completely into the Large Cap Stock bucket; the Vanguard Balanced Index Fund is an asset mix of 43% Large Cap Stock, 15% Small Cap Stock, 1% International Stock, 37% Domestic Bond, and 3% Cash. Quicken Mac lets you edit these percentages if you believe they are wrong or misleading, and especially if you have a security for which Vanguard can't download the asset breakdown.

Currently, these asset mixture values are applied to the security Dashboard, which is excellent.

Currently, these asset mixture values are not applied to the Asset Class view of the Portfolio screen, which is bad. (We've been assured this is forthcoming, hopefully in the near future.) [EDIT: This functionality has been added as of the version 6.8 release in June 2022.]

Currently, there is no way to add your own asset classes. This could be good or bad, depending on your point of view. The good part is that it insures Quicken can use third-party data for the asset mixes; once they allow users to create their own asset classes, Quicken cannot provide information for user-created classes. On the flip side, the 7 basic asset classes defined in Quicken can be very limiting. For instance, there are Large Cap and Small Cap stock, but no Mid Cap Stocks. (I assume that's because these classes are what is defined by Morningstar and/or others.) If you have investments in cryptocurrency, or own gold, there's no way to create an asset class for that. 

Then there are other dimensions that some investors might want which Quicken doesn't provide. (I think this is true of Quicken Windows as well, but I'm not sure.) Some investors want to break down stocks into the typical 9-quadrant grid: large, medium and small cap versus value, blend and growth. Or for bonds funds: short, intermediate or long term versus high, mid or low quality. and some investor might want another dimension of sectors analysis: energy, financial services, healthcare, industrials, real estate, technology, utilities, etc. Quicken does not have the ability to apply these additional dimensions beyond a core asset class breakdown. 

For me, personally, the new asset classifications provide the breakdowns I'm looking for in order to manage my portfolio. They're currently in the Dashboard which is good, but when they bring this to the Portfolio screen, I'll be a pretty satisfied. It's unclear whether allowing users to create their own asset classes is on their roadmap or not.
  • wajora
    wajora Member

Please add Sector and Industry field to Security Detail on Quicken Mac. I miss not being able to identify stocks by their Sector and Industry. Then generating reports with subtotals by these categories. This was possible in old version of Quicken Mac.

• dansandini
    dansandini Member

unbelievable. weeks of work migrating from 2007, down the drain.

• jacobs
    edited August 2023

@dansandini What exactly do you feel is down the drain? (A lot of what is discussed in this old thread has been implemented.)

EDITING to add: You definitely can now get an Asset Allocation report in Quicken Mac. But no investment reports are in the Reports section of the program. You have to select the accounts you want to report on in the left sidebar (e.g. click Investing for all accounts, or Brokerage to exclude retirement accounts, or a specific account), click on the Portfolio tab, and then set the filters above the graph to show "Portfolio Value" and "By Asset Class". the on-screen view lets you see a summary by class, and open one or more asset classes to see the securities in that class. If you select to Print (click the ••• icon on the far right above the graph), the printed report will show the detailed holdings for each asset class. (You can print to PDF or Open in Preview if you don't want to actually print.)

What's missing in Quicken Mac is the ability to customize and save this — or any — investment reports. You have to configure it manually each time. So this Idea thread is asking the developers to build configurable, savable reports, just as we can do for banking transactions.