How to transfer a Data file to new Subscription and Quicken Version

Options
iPlaid
iPlaid Member ✭✭
Many years ago, I started a Quicken Data file for my son under my subscription using Quicken Premium. Now he is old enough to start doing his own finances so I purchased him a Quicken Deluxe license subscription under his own name. The data only contains a cash account and a savings account and no investments, so I didn't think the "downgrade" would be an issue. At any rate, I'm able to install Quicken on a different computer and import the data file, but the data file appears to be "tied" to my subscription, forcing me to enter my subscription information. How do I convert the data file so he can use it under his own subscription using Quicken Deluxe? All the "conversion" information I can find online is from PC to Mac and vice-versa. Thank you.

Best Answer

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @iPlaid ,

Open Quicken. Click, at the top, on Edit then click Preferences.
    Finally, click on Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts

Then click sign in as a different Quicken ID.

Type Yes in the box on the next screen and click Sign Out.

Now simply Register the Quicken Data File with your Son's Information. It will switch to Deluxe. No need to uninstall and reinstall.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options
    All you need to do to switch the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file is open the Quicken file, select Edit >Preferences..., Quicken Id & Cloud Accounts, and Sign in as a different user.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In your son's data file:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Sign in as a different user

Sign in using his Quicken ID/email account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @iPlaid ,

Open Quicken. Click, at the top, on Edit then click Preferences.
    Finally, click on Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts

Then click sign in as a different Quicken ID.

Type Yes in the box on the next screen and click Sign Out.

Now simply Register the Quicken Data File with your Son's Information. It will switch to Deluxe. No need to uninstall and reinstall.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• iPlaid
    iPlaid Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's great help and quick responses! Took me a while to respond because I had to "schedule" time with my teenager and get him to logon to his computer so I could try this fix out. The one weird thing it did was after I signed out and switched to his subscription, it would not open the Data File. I turns out I had to restore a backup of the file. Once I did that, it worked fine and the Data file is now assigned to his subscription and it's under Deluxe. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.