Installing Quicken on new laptop, transferring data

Options
karreia
karreia Member
I want to transfer Quicken 2019 that I bought through download to a new laptop. How do I do that?

Best Answer

Answers

• karreia
    karreia Member
    Options
    I had Quicken Home & Business on my old laptop. I purchased Quicken Starter for my new laptop. Will the data transfer ok?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about the newer versions/years but it used to be you could not open an existing data file in Starter (unless it was from Starter).  The Starter Edition was for new users.  And the Starter Edition is very limited and does NOT support any investment type accounts and if you decide to not renew the yearly subscription - your data file becomes Read-Only, which means you can't use it manually.  And the Starter Edition might not have Tags.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    volvogirl said:
    I don't know about the newer versions/years but it used to be you could not open an existing data file in Starter (unless it was from Starter).  The Starter Edition was for new users.  And the Starter Edition is very limited and does NOT support any investment type accounts and if you decide to not renew the yearly subscription - your data file becomes Read-Only, which means you can't use it manually.  And the Starter Edition might not have Tags.

Since subscription Quicken, Starter Edition can open and use data files from higher editions.  I agree with volvogirl, Starter is very limited in its capabilities and is a poor choice.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• karreia
    karreia Member
    Options
    I figured it wouldn't work but had to ask. Thanks for your input.