Activation code already used - purchased on sale at Best Buy last February.

I bought a copy of Quicken Premier when I saw it on sale at Best Buy last February. I put it aside until my current subscription expired. When I went to activate over the weekend I got a message the activation code had already been used. I called Quicken who said they couldn't help me and to contact Best Buy. Best Buy told me since it was beyond 30 days, I can't return it. I don't want to return it, I use want a good activation code so I can use the software I paid for. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    By "last February," do you mean February 2021 or February 2020? If it was this year, I think you have a compelling case; if it was last year, I think you face pretty long odds. Your only hope is to go back to Best Buy, ask to speak with the manager, and make your case for not returning the software but exchanging it for a working copy.

In the days of buying software (or music or a movie) on a CD or DVD, retail returns were generally disallowed — but exchanges due to a defective product would typically be honored. Your pitch is that they sold you a defective box, and you don't want to return it, you want to exchange it. They might turn you down because of the amount of time which has passed, but it's worth a shot.

For future reference you can add an activation code to your subscription once it has 6 months or fewer remaining; it will add to your subscription, so you don't lose any time on the original subscription. Purchasing a retail copy of Quicken much more than 6-7 months before your subscription expires should probably be avoided.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jbaum - Sorry to hear about your situation.  It sounds like perhaps Best Buy sold you a customer returned item...but one that the customer probably had used and activated prior to returning it.  Normally, companies like Best Buy will not accept returned software that has been opened just for this reason.
    That all being said, the only suggestion I have is to buy another Quicken software from either a retailer or from Quicken.com.  It is the only way I know of that will get you a working unused activation code.  Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    By "last February," do you mean February 2021 or February 2020? If it was this year, I think you have a compelling case; if it was last year, I think you face pretty long odds. Your only hope is to go back to Best Buy, ask to speak with the manager, and make your case for not returning the software but exchanging it for a working copy.

In the days of buying software (or music or a movie) on a CD or DVD, retail returns were generally disallowed — but exchanges due to a defective product would typically be honored. Your pitch is that they sold you a defective box, and you don't want to return it, you want to exchange it. They might turn you down because of the amount of time which has passed, but it's worth a shot.

For future reference you can add an activation code to your subscription once it has 6 months or fewer remaining; it will add to your subscription, so you don't lose any time on the original subscription. Purchasing a retail copy of Quicken much more than 6-7 months before your subscription expires should probably be avoided.
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    Good details here on Best Buy's Return/Exchange Policy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

Relevant sections are: Opened physical copies of computer software, movies, music, video games, books, video game guides and sheet music can only be exchanged for an identical item.

And: If you receive a product that is damaged in shipping, defective or that is not the product you ordered, please return it during your return and exchange time period to Best Buy and we'll arrange for a replacement. If you would rather return the item by mail during your return and exchange time period, please call us for special instructions at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).

And: Return/Exchange Periods

Member status

Standard 15 days

My Best Buy® Elite members 30 days

My Best Buy® Elite Plus members 45 days
  • jacobs
    twrice88 said:
    Good details here on Best Buy's Return/Exchange Policy...
    In short, if your purchase was five months ago, you're likely out of luck. ;)

Still, it can't hurt trying to see if a local store manager might bend on the timeframe when presented with your situation. It's unlikely, but every now and then, common sense for the sake of good customer service beats corporate policy. 

Best of luck.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jbaum said: I bought a copy of Quicken Premier when I saw it on sale at Best Buy last February.
    With all the discussion here - let us know how things turn out as this topic has come up a couple of times.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jbaum
    Jbaum Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > With all the discussion here - let us know how things turn out as this topic has come up a couple of times.

I bought it in Feb 2021. So far no luck. Best Buy asked me to call quicken and ask who it was registered to and so far quicken won't tell me. I wish they would at least disable the code for whoever is using it.

I agree it is defective and I am not trying to return it.
This discussion has been closed.