Why is Quicken asking for id and password for closed account

I have an old citi credit card that is closed. The account is closed in Quicken. The id/password are not in the vault. So why, when connecting to the citi site for a different account do I get a prompt for the id/password of the old closed account?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jgelona,

When you say that the "account is closed in Quicken" what does that mean exactly?

Did you delete the account completely? If not, please let us know what "closed" means.  That will help us to help you.

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I took it to mean that @jgelona used the “Close account” in Quicken, but maybe I’m wrong.  If you use that it is supposed to deactivate the account and such, and this kind of things shouldn’t happen.  But there could be a bug in that process or maybe in the downloading process...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

The poster indicated first that the card itself was "closed", then that it "was closed in Quicken" and finally that the Citi website is asking for the id/password of the old account.

There's not much there that "hangs together" so I'm not assuming anything at this point, and certainly not thinking "bug" at this stage.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jgelona
    jgelona Member ✭✭
    Yes, the account is closed at Citi. It was closed due to lack of activity. I used the "Close Account" feature to close the account in Quicken. I have another card at Citi and when it tries to retrieve the transactions for the new card in One Step Update, it does, but it also prompts for the id/password of the closed account. Since the old account is closed in Quicken the id/password is no longer in the vault which I think is part of the reason I get the prompt. But if I put in the id/password it fails. Even if I try to get to the old account through Citi's site it denies access since it has been closed over a year. This has started in just the last month or so, so I was wondering if one of the recent updates messed something up. If I go into the account list, the account is closed. Transaction download is unavailable. If I click on Edit then Online Services, it says the account is closed. This is why I don't understand why I'm getting a prompt for the id/password of this closed account. I've been using Quicken for almost 20 years and this is the only closed account where this happens.
  • jgelona
    jgelona Member ✭✭
    To me, watching it go through One Step Update, it is like it accessing the Citi site, download the transaction for the new card. Then it sees the old account and for some reason ignores that it is closed in Quicken and prompts for the id/password.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jgelona,

Just double checking - in the "Account" bar on the Quicken home page - does the Account Name have the little red circle with a slash through it - like the snip below?

A closed account shouldn't have the ability to connect, but just to make sure, you should consider removing the financial institution's name and the account number from the "Account Details" "General Tab". 

Frankx

• jgelona
    jgelona Member ✭✭
    Sorry for the delay I've been offline a few days. Yes the little red circle is there. I tried to delete the institution name but it would not let me. I was able to delete it and save but when I went back in the institution name was still there. I was able to remove the account number but it still asks for the id/password.
  • Lloyd Young
    Lloyd Young Windows Beta Beta
    I am having the same problem on a closed PNC checking account. Account shows closed but One Step Update is still requesting a userid and PW. Entering old userid and PW does not work because web access has been terminated due to closed account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have one idea on how to workaround this, but I'm not sure if it will work, for sure make sure you have a good backup before trying this.

Use this procedure to move the transactions to a new account.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

After that delete the problem account by right clicking on the account name in the Account bar and selecting Edit/Delete account -> Delete Account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Lloyd Young
    Lloyd Young Windows Beta Beta
    Chris, Your workaround worked for me. Thanks for the assistance.
This discussion has been closed.