how to add Stock Dividend when dividend share number is only data available

judyaf
judyaf Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Stock Dividend window only allows "For each share held I received _________ new shares.W

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dividends paid in stock usually aren't taxable so just entering the number of shares received is all you need do.  The effect is the same as that of the typical stock split.  There are some exceptions though.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @judyaf Some companies will periodically issue "stock splinters" ... such as a 1.05 for 1 stock split.  You might  look into whether this is the case for your situation.
    And, even if this is not a splinter, I'd be inclined to enter it as a split ... since the combination of old and new shares now have the the OLD cost basis.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bails
    Bails Member ✭✭
    Tom, I owned 75 shares and had a basis in those shares. I received a stock dividend of 225 shares, but it had no basis. You suggested just adding the shares. If I do that, there is no basis to the shares. I think I have to allocate basis to those shares. Do you know what I have to do to have the basis of the 75 shares attributed to all 300 shares>
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reacting to this: "Stock Dividend window only allows "For each share held I received _________ new shares."
    That wording is almost exactly the same as what comes up if you click on the Quicken Windows "Div - Stock Dividend (non-cash)" action.  In Quicken Windows if you identify the stock and enter an number in the "blank" of that prompt then Quicken actually executes a StkSplit action.  You end up with the correct number of shares at the correct (unchanged overall) basis.  If the Stock Dividend action doesn't work that way in the Mac versions, if it only adds shares with no cost basis, then use the stock split action instead.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd use a 4 for 1 stock split.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.