Why can't I create a cashflow comparison report that shows multiple year comparisons?

Options
Heather G
Heather G Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
It would be extremely helpful to me if I can compare multiple years on the same report, (like I can already do for spending reports). With COVID reducing some expenses over the past few years, I need a more accurate comparison. What would be ideal would be if I can look at 1/1-today numbers spanning all years in my Quicken. It would provide a more realistic view on where I could make changes financially in the future. I really hope this is something that Quicken techs see and can do in the future. Thanks.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why does the Income/ Expense comparison, with sub-cats shown, not work for you?
    And, how would you expect the "Difference" calcs to work when there's multiple years involved? I.E., what column would be compared to what column.  With 2 columns (this year and last) it's a cinch.  But even with 3 columns (let alone 5, 6 or more) what calculations would you want to see.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Heather G
    Heather G Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just want to see each year's running totals for each category, like with "prior year" comparison, but with all years (or a certain number of years). The difference I could figure in my head while looking it over.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you tried using the Income and Expense by Category report?
    Select "Interval = Year" and then set the Date Range = Custom to Date, setting the starting date to 1/1 of the oldest year in your records or the oldest year you're interested in seeing.
    The result will be a columnar report for all top level categories with annual totals for each category and Transfer To/Transfer From accounts. Maximize the report view to see all the columns on one page.
    To see only expense categories, but with all subcategories included, use the Spending by Category report.
    Select "Interval = Year" and then set the Date Range = Custom to Date, setting the starting date to 1/1 of the oldest year in your records or the oldest year you're interested in seeing.

• Heather G
    Heather G Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have used that report for many years. Annual totals aren't what I want to see when looking it over. I would like to see 1/1-8/9 in today's report view across several year's worth of columns.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heather G said:
    I have used that report for many years. Annual totals aren't what I want to see when looking it over. I would like to see 1/1-8/9 in today's report view across several year's worth of columns.

Sorry. Except for the two-year comparison reports, there isn't a report available that can do 1/1 - today comparisons over three or more years.
    Sounds like a request for enhancement might be in order. If you feel strongly enough about wanting a new report type to be added to Quicken, please feel free to post a new Idea.

For additional information about idea posts please read  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

P.S.: To research how to answer your question, I ran the Income and Expense report for the last 7 years and, reviewing the results, spotted a few things that need review. Thanks for making me think about this type of data analysis.

This discussion has been closed.