Unexpected request for "Data File Password"

chrislaycock
chrislaycock Member ✭✭
Quicken Premier R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24

Quicken is asking me for a "Data File Password". It also asks for the same thing if I try to restore from today's backup. There is a "Forgotten password?" link which does nothing.

I can open Friday's backup as suggested in other posts BUT that is not an acceptable solution for me as I have spent a lot of time scanning receipts in, updating budgets, updating offline accounts and pre-scheduling some bill pays today.

I'm shocked that today's backup appears to be just as broken as the actual data file.

Has anyone had any luck in getting the data file fixed by quicken?

(Edited title to correct spelling)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    No one has had any luck getting Quicken to correct the Quicken file corruption.

Quicken believes R34.24 corrected an issue that causes the corruption though it's not clear which release update introduced the issue.

If you haven't already, you may want to review:  RESOLVED 7/20/21 Prompt to Enter Data File Password when No Password is Assigned
  • Gary's Qkn
    Gary's Qkn Member ✭✭
    I tried to open my file this morning and had the same issue which is very upsetting. This appears to be a quicken error in a recent update and the only fix appears to be to restore from a prior backup and re-enter all data which can take hours and hours. I am really disappointed that there appears to have been no or an insufficient quality control process in place to catch such an error before release of any updates. This issue must be addressed by the company or longtime customers like me will leave
  • chrislaycock
    chrislaycock Member ✭✭
    Since my original post I was able to get most of the data back. The official backup wasn’t much use as it was from a prior date but I do have one drive on my windows PC. I went to the Microsoft OneDrive website and found a recent version of my quicken file (it was backed up several times per hr). I tried a few and found the most recent version that works still open. Ultimately lost about thirty minutes of data entry and one scanned image.

If you follow this approach it is worth validating the file after you get back into it.

Still very frustrating
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to open my file this morning and had the same issue which is very upsetting. This appears to be a quicken error in a recent update and the only fix appears to be to restore from a prior backup and re-enter all data which can take hours and hours. I am really disappointed that there appears to have been no or an insufficient quality control process in place to catch such an error before release of any updates. This issue must be addressed by the company or longtime customers like me will leave

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• greenD2021
    greenD2021 Member ✭✭
    I just had this happen today.. had to restore..
  • ALGRL123
    ALGRL123 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I just had this happen today - lost a week's worth of work updating budgets, etc. [Removed - Rant]