One of two Bank Of America online accounts requires 2FA every time I do update transactions

I recently added a newer BofA account to download transactions. However, I have to go thru 2FA every time I do update transactions.

I have a much older BofA account which has no problem doing update transactions with 2FA.

Both accounts has 2FA turned on by default, I had no option.
The newer account was added with "Bank of America Credit Card" as the financial institution while the older account was added as "Bank of America-all other states", the only way that was supported by Quicken eons ago.

Any suggestion to eliminate the 2FA?

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @ssllii

I apologize for the delay in response.  That is correct, you'll deactivate the online setup, but leave the account in Quicken.

Going through the Add Account process you'll want to select the "Bank of America Credit Card" option for the financial institution name.  Selecting the "all other states" option may result in other connections errors occurring.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it goes and if the MFA prompt continues, thank you.

Sarah

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2021
    Hello @ssllii,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, first please save a backup of your data file (just in case). Then, could you please try deactivating the account experiencing this issue and then reactivating through Add Account (not through Set Up Now)?

Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to reconnect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Last, go ahead and run a One Step Update to see if you still receive the 2FA prompt.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    If I understood you correctly, you are suggesting I "deactivate" the online setup but leave the account in Quicken. Go through Add Account and make a new account in Quicken to link up with Bank of America, is that right?
    For my credit card account, does it matter whether I use "Bank Of America Credit Card" or "Bank Of America-all other states" as the financial institution? It is very confusing with BofA.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @ssllii

I apologize for the delay in response.  That is correct, you'll deactivate the online setup, but leave the account in Quicken.

Going through the Add Account process you'll want to select the "Bank of America Credit Card" option for the financial institution name.  Selecting the "all other states" option may result in other connections errors occurring.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it goes and if the MFA prompt continues, thank you.

Sarah
  • ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    This "Add Account" again did the trick. I would have tried the deactiviate/activate sequence till my face turned blue and wouldn't have solve the problem. thx
  • ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    Actually, the same issue came back the following day! Something about Quicken/BofA not coordinated with 2FA.
  • bgrodski
    bgrodski Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact same problem with Bank of America. Added a new BofA Credit Card to Quicken and every time I do a One Step Update it pauses for a 2FA code. I have done the Deactivate/Add Account routine twice now with no resolution.
  • bgrodski
    bgrodski Member ✭✭
    I talked to a rep just now from BofA. She told me that there was no way to turn off the request for a 2FA code, that it is a permanent security measure. I told her that it doesn't happen with my BofA Checking, Savings or with my other BofA credit card. She had no answer and sent a support ticket up the chain of command. Something I did notice is that I only get a 2FA code request when I use One Step Update through Quicken. If I simply open the affected credit card account and do "Update Now" on that account only, I do NOT get prompted for a 2FA code, so I find it hard to believe it is strictly a security requirement on the part of Bank of America.
  • ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    As I indicated, I had an older BofA checking account. It was set up as "Bank of America - All other states", predates 2FA. It worked well. Then I got a BofA credit card for myself. The same online account worked well with Quicken download.
    Then my wife got a BofA credit card, and she got a new online account. Only "Bank of Americ Credit Card" worked for this account, not "Bank of America - All other states", not "Bank of America - Quicken". But it has to go thru 2FA every time I want to download transactions.
  • bgrodski
    bgrodski Member ✭✭
    I switched my wife's new B of A credit card from "Bank of America Credit Card" to "Bank of America - All other states" and it now works fine. No more 2FA code requests when running One Step Update on Quicken. Not sure why you couldn't get it to work using "Bank of America - All other states" but you may want to try again. Be sure to follow these steps: Deactivate the online services for the credit card, close Quicken for a few seconds and re-open, reactivate the online service under "Bank of America - All other states" using Add Account under the Tools Menu.
  • ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    With "Bank of America - all Other states", I couldn't even get past 2FA. It gave me my device options to send the code. I entered the code but it came back with a CC-502, website not available. Since it gave me my device options for 2FA, it mush have connected to the website/service.
    Frustrated as hack but couldn't figure out what is so different with the 2 accounts.
  • Cowbell
    Cowbell Member
    I'm in the same boat! I hate it. I feel that Quicken needs to add a "Remember This Device" button as they have on the BOA website so it eliminates the need for 2FA every time. I'd be fine every 3 months or so, but not every time. That is just too much. I wish Quicken and BOA find a way to resolve this problem.
  • BoilerOne
    BoilerOne Member ✭✭
    I've had the same issue for 6-8 months. I contacted Quicken support and tried steps above but no resolution. This is becoming a real pain in order to update my BofA checking account.
  • impala1ss
    impala1ss Member ✭✭
    I am having same problem. Using the Quicken mobile app, every time I use it it opens my accounts but makes me change my password each time I use it. I have created 10 passwords in the last 2 days. Been to the Bank of America bank near me and they can not find a reason it does this. HELP!
  • ssllii
    ssllii Member ✭✭✭
    It is hard to know which side has the bug. I have 2 BofA accounts and they behave differently.
    What happen to the community support folks? They usually jump onto this type of conversation.
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am having similar issues -- my wife got a BoA Visa card and our child a savings account with a Debit Card.  I have connected both accounts via Bank of America - Quicken / Express Web Connect.  Each time I run Update, it asks for a 2FA code and has my wife's mobile number listed -- apparently we can't set up a 2nd phone number for this, so if I run an update, I have to get my wife to share the code with me.

What is the recommended fix for this?  Do I have to remove these 2 BoA accounts from One Step Update and do a manual update from the web site?  or could I connect via the BoA - All other States or via Credit Card connection?  because this getting the 2FA is a PIA and typically will skip it.  thanks for letting me vent and ask a question!