How to create a business credit card account on Quicken Home & Business - Apple card

Denny43
Denny43 Member ✭✭
It used to be simple to add bank/credit accounts to Quicken...no more, however. When I try to add a new credit card account to the business section of my Home & Business Quicken it tries to add it to my bank accounts. Spent 3 hrs trying to figure it out...to no avail. I'm running version R34.24, Build 27.1.34.24. The Card is the Apple Card (which I've tried to add with no success as I've said above) The financial institute is Goldman-Sachs. Hope this gives you enough information to help. Would certainly appreciate some help with this.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the Quicken support page https://www.quicken.com/support/adding-accounts-quicken-windows the process described there seems straight-forward enough:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Accounting

This feature is only available in the Subscription Release of Quicken Home & Business

To add business accounts:

1. Click the Business tab.
    2. Click the Business Actions button, then choose Business Accounts > Add Account.
    3. Select the type of account you want to add (you can select Accounts Payable/Receivable, Spending & Savings, Assets, or Loans)
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions. Click Help for more information.

Note: After adding a new invoices/receivables account, you can enter any previously issued but unpaid invoices that you want to track. When you create the invoice, just remember to predate it.

For expanded instructions, see How do I add a business?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the article refers to "Spending" accounts I assume that word encompasses Checking, Savings and Credit Card accounts, just like it does in Quicken versions below the H&B version.  Are you finding that not to be the case, that only Checking and/or Savings accounts are available?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the above doesn't help or the account gets created (again) as a personal account, please go into Edit Account Details for this account, select the Display Options tab.
    In the box titled Account Intent try changing the 2nd pulldown selection field from "Personal" to "Business".
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that UKR is on the right track here.  I have 2 business credit card accounts setup in my Q H&B file and both appear separate from my other credit card accounts in the Account Bar and in the "Business Tab" as well.  And in the Account Details - Display Options, both are labled "Business" in the "Account Intent" section.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Denny43
    Denny43 Member ✭✭
    Hi, guys. Appreciate the suggestions…but they don’t work. When I try to add my Apple Card (credit) to my business section, it sticks it into the “spending” section in my business section which is checking. It won’t work there. This is a credit card, not a bank/checking/savings account. So the updates don’t work because it’s looking for a check/savings account, not a credit card. the old Quicken used to have options for new accounts - checking, savings, credit, etc. But if those choices are still there somewhere, they’re well hidden. :). So, I’m still stuck. Any more suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.
  • Denny43
    Denny43 Member ✭✭
    “Since the article refers to "Spending" accounts I assume that word encompasses Checking, Savings and Credit Card accounts, just like it does in Quicken versions below the H&B version. Are you finding that not to be the case, that only Checking and/or Savings accounts are available?”

Yes. That’s my problem. The “spending” accounts do not include credit cards. Yes, the only accounts it plugs into is Checking & Savings, I didn’t see ANY “availability.” No lists. No choices. Here’s what happens: I select “New Account”. It takes me to a new window with various banking institutions. I type in Apple Card. The Apple Card is an offered selection. I select “Apple Card.” It takes me into the window to add statement end date and statement balance. I add those into the slots. I hit next. It goes through the process and…places the Apple Card in my checking/spending area in the business section along side my bank/savings accounts. I hope someone lets the tech guys at Quicken know about this issue. Ive seen others on here with the same issue, tried some of the solutions others have proposed…with no solution. Guess I’ll just have to go to the Apple Card website and hand enter the information until I can find a solution.
  • Denny43
    Denny43 Member ✭✭
    One addition…when the account opens, it sets it up in the register as a checking account. Not a credit card account, so moving it doesn’t help either…even if I could move it. I’ve given that a lot of tries also.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where, exactly, is it failing?  Because, when I click BUSINESS, BUSINESS ACCOUNTS, Add an Account it certainly looks like I could add a business card account. 
    And try using "Apple Card", instead of Goldman, as the financial institution.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi again, @Denny43

I think I have a way you may be able to accomplish what you want.

I suggest that you do the following:

1) Click the "+"  (or "Add Accounts");
    2) In the "Search for your financial institution" window, select the "Business AR and AP" button;
    3) In the next window - select the "+Offline Account" button; (I know you want to connect it - we'll do that later);
    4) In the "Add offline account" window, select Credit Card;
    5) Enter the Name of the account > click the "business transactions" button and click "Next";
    6) Enter your last statement ending date and the balance from that statement and click "Next";
    7) Click "Finish".

Now, open up the account register for the new account and click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right.

1) Select "Edit Account Details";
    2) Select the "Online Services" tab;
    3) Click "Set Up Now";
    4) Enter the name of the "Financial Institution" and then click on the correct card in the results list and click "Next";
    5) Enter your "User Name / User ID" and then enter your "Password" and click "Connect";
    6) Enter the appropriate Q Nickname, change the "Used for" to "business" and the Action should be "Add to Quicken". Then click "Next"
    7) You should get an "Account Added" window - click "Finish" and you're done.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Denny43
    Denny43 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Frankz. I also saw that said credit card in that box. That’s the only place, though. No way to select credit card anywhere in the process. And I have been using “Apple Card” for the institution. Still goes into the banking section, still gives me a banking register, not a credit card register. Already gave up on the Goldman; tried that with no success earlier. I’ll give your second solution a try and see what happens. This certainly shouldn’t be this difficult to do. Again, Quicken tech needs to fix this.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Just following along - here is the entry for Apple Card -
    and it is only showing "web connect" for manual downloading - and only "credit" for type accounts.
    18940    18940    18940    Apple Card    https://card.apple.com/    NA    https://card.apple.com/    ACTIVE 
           CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT            

QWin - R54.16 - Win10