How to remove Windows 10 Quicken 2021 'Install as Administrator'

Hoyt Childs
Hoyt Childs Member ✭✭
Since installing an update of Quicken 2021 under Windows 10, my copy of Quicken installs as a application (instead of remaining installed) and I get a message that I am installing as administrator that I should not do. Why? What's happening? The simplistic error messages do not solve the problem.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    I believe that what you are talking about is that first Windows warns you that an application is running in administrator mode, and then Quicken does the same with this message:

This is caused by "Run as administrator" being turned on in the Quicken Desktop shortcut.
    Right click on the Quicken Desktop shortcut and select Properties.
    Then select Advanced... -> deselect "Run as administrator" and then OK.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that you are clicking on the Quicken program, QW.EXE, and not the Quicken installer?
    When you right click on the icon and look at properties, what does it show as the program?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    I believe that what you are talking about is that first Windows warns you that an application is running in administrator mode, and then Quicken does the same with this message:

This is caused by "Run as administrator" being turned on in the Quicken Desktop shortcut.
    Right click on the Quicken Desktop shortcut and select Properties.
    Then select Advanced... -> deselect "Run as administrator" and then OK.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned - to clarify - as we are not sure what you are clicking on, or what you are seeing - or why -
    The Quicken "download" is just the Windows installer ---> Quicken.exe
    The Quicken "program" is the normal ---> QW.EXE
    A Right-Click and then click on Properties - will show exactly the program name and the "attributes" discussed above...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hoyt Childs
    Hoyt Childs Member ✭✭
    That was it. I did not even realize that the Quicken program had a 'properties' setting available (been using since 1995 when MYM went belly up). Found the run as administrator and unchecked, then restarted quicken. Thanks very much for the tip.
  • I am trying to set up an administrator

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Just because the account is an administrator account doesn't mean that you should run Quicken in administrator mode. They aren't the same thing.

Having an administrator account means that you can do "privileged" operations. As in you go to do something that is privileged and Windows prompts you to ask if you are sure you want to do it. "Run as an administrator" on the other hand is telling Windows to go into a privileged state from the start. You should only use this mode if it is absolutely required because it puts your machine a higher risk.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.