I'm running Quicken 2008... want to upgrade -

I have lots of back up on an external drive. I do not want to do the cloud. if I purchase the quicken 2021 on disc (and install), will everything update and be retrievable? Also I can forego the cloud system - correct?
thank you

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line - yes.
    You will need to convert to QW2013 first, then to subscription Quicken, see this article Convert Data from an Earlier version of Quicken
    Use the Cloud?  No you don't have to use the "cloud", but you will have a cloud account that contains information about your subscription, it is not an option, it is a must with subscription.  Just make sure that when you register your data file when first opened that you select to not "use the cloud".
    NOTE:  Converting from 2008, you are in for a LOT of changes in the user interface.  Under subscription, if you allow the subscription to expire, Starter goes into READ ONLY mode and all versions lose about 25% of the screen space to a panel urging you to renew, see this thread: Expiration-Banner

You might be better sticking with the QW2013 and not converting all the way to subscription.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    As a side note:  There appears to be a fair number of people who mistakenly think that the Cloud Account is a back-up drive.  It is not and it has no capability of storing your main or backup data files.  Quicken does offer a cloud-based file storage service called Dropbox but that is totally different and is an optional service separate from the Cloud Account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.