Identity Stage release updates by the version suffix?

Options
Though I haven't read anything about it, my observations lead me to think that Version #'s that end in an odd number(after the period) appear to be Staged Release versions. Anybody else notice that? Just curious!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Nope, the odd/even character has nothing to do with it being a Staged Release.
    A Staged release will become a "General Release" after it has been in  the wild for a while and any issues have been identified.
    R 34.24, the immediate prior release, was "Staged" before it went to General release.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe they should....that's s great identifying feature! This staged release is 35.25, the last one I got and had issues with was 34.21, both ending with odd numbers!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    Maybe they should....that's s great identifying feature! This staged release is 35.25, the last one I got and had issues with was 34.21, both ending with odd numbers!
    wrong -
    the Staged title is merely a throttle on the ability to auto download...
    the Live is the floodgate opening - it's exactly the same software....
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7897852/windows-r35-xx-release-us#latest

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm just trying to be helpful...would you prefer I didn't?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But this isn't helpful.  The Release/Build numbers are pertinent to Q's Development process.  Do you really expect them to re-build the product (and issue a new Build nbr) simply because it's going from staged release to General release???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In fact it would be very undesirable to rebuild just to change the version number.  "Building" in and ideal world you would simply change the the version and rebuild and send it out.  But "Building" is in fact a complicated process with the possibility of problems.  So in general you want to avoid it if you want to be sure that you have the same thing.  But I think that there can be other parts of the process that lets the user know that they are getting a staged release.

You will notice that when you get a patch from one of the Announcements in this forum they now give the file a different name (even though the released version is going to be internally the same).  This lets people know they are different.  They could do the same with the notice that an update is sent to the user.  Don't change the actual patch, but just the notice sent during that period of staged release time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. On @TTSguy's comment.  In general I have found some of your comments to be "rude" so and such I don't need to be "helpful".  BUT none of us are perfect on every comment we make, we don't all know everything and we make mistakes, so people shouldn't be jumping on @TTSguy for this comment.

It should be pointed out that it is wrong, but there isn't any real call to through in the extra "snide remarks".  No more than we should want the same thing from @TTSguy.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/