How to enter transactions to sell shares from 2 MF accounts and buy shares in another MF account

Options
jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I have several Vanguard mutual fund accounts as well as stock shares in a Vanguard brokerage account. I sold (SoldX) all shares of a stock & combined the proceeds with the money from a Vanguard money market account (Xout) and then bought (BoughtX) shares in another existing Vanguard mutual fund account. Everything happened among several Vanguard (& Quicken) accounts. Quicken2007 doesn't show the final destination account in the drop down choices for SoldX and BoughtX transactions.

I had to use dummy Checking Account transactions to accept the funds (as deposits) and then disperse (as a check). Of course, these dummy transactions will never appear on my checking account statement for reconciliation because nothing happened at the bank. I can manually enter the 'R', but that doesn't show what really happened. I'd like Quicken to reflect what actually happened. 'Reminder' transactions don't allow for a narrative.

Suggestions???

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't do a Sold (with the To: as the other MR account).
    Was that other account hidden or something?
    I have no problem selecting brokerage/IRA accounts.

Also I think you are using the term "Reminder" incorrectly.  A reminder in Quicken is a transaction scheduled to be put into an account in the future.  Maybe you meant a transfer transaction?
    In any case why can't you use the Memo field for the "narrative"?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider allowing the accounts to hold more than a single mutual fund: open the investment register and press Ctrl + Shift + E
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jarhtmd said:
    I have several Vanguard mutual fund accounts as well as stock shares in a Vanguard brokerage account.
    Just following along -
    On the terminology - do you actually have several Vanguard "accounts" -
    or merely several Vanguard mutual funds in a Vanguard legacy mutual fund only account ?
    Vanguard is offering to migrate your legacy mutual fund only account to a Vanguard brokerage account -
    and merely move over your mutual fund holdings....  I did it - before getting forced over.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Also I think you are using the term "Reminder" incorrectly.  … 
    In any case why can't you use the Memo field for the "narrative"?
    If I recall correctly, there is a Reminder transaction available in investment transaction lists. But even there, the user is actually just using the description and memo fields which are limited in length (not much narrative room). 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jarhtmd said:
    … Quicken2007 doesn't show the final destination account in the drop down choices for SoldX and BoughtX transactions.
    … 
    Suggestions???
    Been a long time since I used a Quicken of that vintage. 
    Are you using the Enter transactions button or entering these directly in the transaction list?  Try the other. 
    They don’t show. Can you type them in, [account name]?

• jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Please forgive my tardy response. Family issues drew me away for a period of time.
    Is there a "reply notification" that I failed to set? I was unaware of the replies.
    Actually, chalk my post up to "user error". I had missed a couple of things & blamed it on Quicken . . . my bad.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jarhtmd said:
    Is there a "reply notification" that I failed to set? I was unaware of the replies.
    You can edit your profile - click on the avatar in the upper right corner - and set a slew of notification preferences.  That does not guarantee that the notifications will get to you, however.  I get the ones I have checked (at least I think I do) but not all users are so fortunate,