"Unable to write to Drive C" notification - Actually due to MS Ransomware Protection> ON ?

TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
After reading many posts about the best possible location for my backups, I'm unable to backup to the C:\Users\Name\Documents\Quicken folder. That happens if I check the date box (should I?) or don't check the datebox. I cannot understand why this is happening. Any help to fix this is appreciated. Thanks

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    TTSguy said:
    After reading many posts about the best possible location for my backups, I'm unable to backup to the C:\Users\Name\Documents\Quicken folder. That happens if I check the date box (should I?) or don't check the datebox. I cannot understand why this is happening. Any help to fix this is appreciated. Thanks

Checking the date box means that every backup file has a different file name (unless you make more than one a day).  Automatic backups have the date & time, so multiples in a day are distinct.
    You really do not want to make your backups to the same drive (spindle) as your data file because if it fails then both your data file and the backups are toast.  If you have some backup routine that subsequently makes backups to the cloud or some other location that is not part of your local computer then you are covered.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken is not trying to tell you anything about the common sense of having your backups on the same drive as the data file,  It couldn't care.
    I don't know what to advise you about the error message you are getting, I am trying to give you common sense advice about making backups that will be available if your computer dies or a hurricane takes out your house.  You can store them in any folder/directory structure you want. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Never backing up to Quicken's data file on C: is one way to go, personally though I rather understand how things work and then adjust to that.

For instance I just put C:\Quicken where I keep my current Quicken data file into the "Protected folders" and sure enough Windows blocked it write access to my Quicken data file (I don't have Quicken in the list of applications that are allowed to access my protected folders).

This blocking can be seen by going to the Block history.

I Allow Quicken access to this protected folder here or under "Allow an app through Controlled folder access" in the above screenshot.  But what I'm going to really do is remove C:\Quicken from the protected folders since I just put it in there for testing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    TTSguy said:

Checking the date box means that every backup file has a different file name (unless you make more than one a day).  Automatic backups have the date & time, so multiples in a day are distinct.
    You really do not want to make your backups to the same drive (spindle) as your data file because if it fails then both your data file and the backups are toast.  If you have some backup routine that subsequently makes backups to the cloud or some other location that is not part of your local computer then you are covered.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    So am I correct to assume that I'm getting that message on purpose because Quicken is telling me without telling me. Is the explanation you gave me about "You really do not want your backups..." the reason I'm seeing "Cannot find drive C... or what is "causing" me to get that message? Is it an on purpose message or a PC file issue? I'm trying to understand the C:\Users\name\Documents\Quicken file recommendation, but I'm missing something. Also I believe that One dDive automatically backups up the Documents folder and I read posts that say that cloud backups can cause problems (in some of the posts) Sorry, I'm just missing something regarding this process. I appreciate your help thanks! So its the best place to manually create a backup on C to be Qdata\V34.241A\Documents\Quicken? I like to include the version # in my manual backups to C or external source.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken is not trying to tell you anything about the common sense of having your backups on the same drive as the data file,  It couldn't care.
    I don't know what to advise you about the error message you are getting, I am trying to give you common sense advice about making backups that will be available if your computer dies or a hurricane takes out your house.  You can store them in any folder/directory structure you want. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Write failures like this can be caused by:
    1. Some program blocking Quicken from writing the file.
    2. The path is some how wrong.
    3. Bug in Quicken.
    4. A failure in the drive/drivers.

#1 is the most likely.  And the most likely programs that do such are:
    1. Backup programs.
    2. Anti-Virus programs.
    3. Windows anti-Ransomware settings/program.
    On the backup programs the failure is usually in them blocking access to the current data file, not the backup file, but to the user it is sometimes hard to tell which Quicken is complaining about.  #3 is the more likely one for blocking even the writing of backups if those backups are being stored in one of the "controlled folders" like Documents.

The current data file shouldn't be stored in a folder that one of the cloud backup programs are syncing.
    For most of them it is easy to see if you have done that because ones like Dropbox, Google Drive, ... have their own folder structure that you have to store the files in.

OneDrive on the other hand can play some tricks with links and actually sync Documents, Pictures and Desktop.  But note that has to be turned on.

I said it plays some tricks so without close inspection one might not notice that these folders have been "redirected".

Here is how it looks on my machine.  Am I using OneDrive to back these up or not?

If I right click on Documents and select Properties -> Location you would see this:

So in fact this is being stored in the OneDrive folder, and it is being backed up with OneDrive.
    If OneDrive isn't in the path then you haven't turned on OneDrive's setting for backing these up.

If you aren't backing up to OneDrive here then @splasher's warning applies, as in you probably have your current Quicken data file on this same drive, and nothing is getting the backup off of this drive to somewhere else for safety.

My current data file is in fact stored at C:\Quicken, so having the backups in my Documents folder is in fact not a violation of any of the suggested rules, and in fact is a good place to put the backups so that they will be backup up off of my machine.

BTW another way you can see that my Documents are in OneDrive is by browsing into the OneDrive folder:

Note that even though this is a perfectly good place/way to do the backups, I don't actually use Quicken's backup system at all.  I have a completely different way to backup my Quicken data file which I'm not going to go into here because it is way outside of the scope of what the average person should be doing.

Back to the write failures.  They should have nothing to do with where you are backing up.  So my guess would be that Windows anti-Ransomware setting is on, and Quicken hasn't been put in the list of programs that should be exempt from being blocked from the controlled folder.

But that is just a guess.
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    So am I correct to assume that I'm getting that message on purpose because Quicken is telling me without telling me. Is the explanation you gave me about "You really do not want your backups..." the reason I'm seeing "Cannot find drive C... or what is "causing" me to get that message? Is it an on purpose message or a PC file issue? I'm trying to understand the C:\Users\name\Documents\Quicken file recommendation, but I'm missing something. Also I believe that One dDive automatically backups up the Documents folder and I read posts that say that cloud backups can cause problems (in some of the posts) Sorry, I'm just missing something regarding this process. I appreciate your help thanks! So its the best place to manually create a backup on C to be Qdata\V34.241A\Documents\Quicken? I like to include the version # in my manual backups to C or external source.
    Hi @TTSguy ,

The best practice is to rename your active File to. for examples, say "Guy" or "Guy 2021". Don't use the default name.

Manual Backups should be backed up to any place other then your C:\ Drive in case of Hard Drive Failure.

You were trying to write to the same folder where the Data File is located. Perhaps to overwrite your open Data File.

Automatic Backups are backed up to \Quicken\Backup Folder.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. I purposely copied one of my test Quicken data files to my Documents\Quicken folder and opened it.
    You can see the full path here, which is in OneDrive:

This is a violation of the recommended rules since the "currently opened" Quicken data file is in a OneDrive folder.  It is fine for that backups, but not for the one you open in Quicken.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I found my problem with "Can't write to Drive C: (go to) :Settings>Update & Security>Windows Security>Virus and Threat Protection>Ransomware Protection>Manage Ransomware Protection>Turn Controlled Access folder toggle to to OFF and my problem goes away, and I can (though I know unnecessary) then it is possible to Backup the file to the C: drive. Now I know this can be circumvented by not doing this but shouldn't Quicken and MS be talking about this to fix, or should it be left alone amd leave it turned off, or leave it turned on and just know that you cannot backup to C:?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @TTSguy there isn't anything to talk about.  You should look up how the Ransomware protection works.
    It will block any program from writing to the "controlled folders" unless you white list that program.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    TTSguy said:
    @Chris_QPW I found my problem with "Can't write to Drive C: (go to) :Settings>Update & Security>Windows Security>Virus and Threat Protection>Ransomware Protection>Manage Ransomware Protection>Turn Controlled Access folder toggle to to OFF and my problem goes away...
    Seems to be a lot of problems .....
    You turn on the exact setting to BLOCK any writing to the "controlled folder"
    and then post about not being able to write to Drive C "controlled folder" .
    Before you click on everything ... you should ask yourself - What Does This Really Do -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    And... as far as backing up to Drive C -
    Not sure why the normal Quicken folder arrangement would be a hassle... it sits in the normal user Documents tree...
    The folder /Quicken/ --> has the Quicken QDF data file AND the /BACKUP/ folder.
    So - I have my /QUICKEN/ folder with a /BACKUP/ folder where all the auto backups reside -
    about 6 datestamped files.
    Then I also have a /BACKUP2/ folder where all the manual backups reside -
    with the [x] for datestamping - have about years worth.
    Lastly - I then copy the entire /QUICKEN/ folder (and the Backup sub-folders)
    off to my external USB drives - and I actually alternate between two 1TB drives.
    Done - and safely backed up -

[EDIT] - also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual and specific Q&A info

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since I lost 6 years worth of transactions being one of the first to lock up my datasets a year and a half ago when this Sync thing all started, I now do backups everywhere I can even manual ones to my Quicken folder to my C drive. Since I have had no other problems in any apps, assumed that this was somwthing worth mentioning because it is only happening to me when I use Quicken. I'll just turn it back on and know to never try to back-up to C drive from Quicken again. I just though this was worth mentioning. I have it under control on my end and it sound like from all your comments that it isn't a problem, so that's good, really good thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering if this issue would raise it's ugly head with everyone scrambling like the go around Quicken with other apps in the past interfering with the operations in Quicken. Better safe than sorry. I'll work around it, and hope it doesn 't affect other aspects of Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Never backing up to Quicken's data file on C: is one way to go, personally though I rather understand how things work and then adjust to that.

For instance I just put C:\Quicken where I keep my current Quicken data file into the "Protected folders" and sure enough Windows blocked it write access to my Quicken data file (I don't have Quicken in the list of applications that are allowed to access my protected folders).

This blocking can be seen by going to the Block history.

I Allow Quicken access to this protected folder here or under "Allow an app through Controlled folder access" in the above screenshot.  But what I'm going to really do is remove C:\Quicken from the protected folders since I just put it in there for testing.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris, Security is my #1 concern for me and all users!
This discussion has been closed.