"Payment Accepted, Amount Reduced" on Citibank payment

So I have another strange experience to report.  Today I had a Citibank credit card payment due, and I'd set the payment up to pay the entire balance due with Quick Pay.  I've been doing this for many months now.

Today I got an email from Quicken titled "Payment Accepted, Amount Reduced" which says that the payment amount was rejected by the biller website and that they were only able to pay $35 (minimum payment.)  What the heck?

I logged onto Citibank's website and was easily able to pay the remaining balance, but if I hadn't noticed that email until tomorrow or something, I'd have been hit with interest charges on the unpaid balance.

Quicken's email says "For more information about why your payment was reduced, contact your biller" which I did, and they have no idea either.  Do I now have to worry that Quicken will randomly reduce the bill pay payment amount like this?  Why would this happen?
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd advise calling Quicken
    They are open for the next hour and five minutes

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is there any chance you had a credit (refund) posted to your account between the time you set up the Quick Pay payment and the time it processed? That is, your statement balance was $1,000 but you received a $50 credit, making your balance $950; then when Bill Pay tried to submit a $1,000 payment, Citi rejected it because it was more than the orubtanding balance. Just a shot in the dark…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dave in SF
    Dave in SF Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    Is there any chance you had a credit (refund) posted to your account between the time you set up the Quick Pay payment and the time it processed? That is, your statement balance was $1,000 but you received a $50 credit, making your balance $950; then when Bill Pay tried to submit a $1,000 payment, Citi rejected it because it was more than the orubtanding balance. Just a shot in the dark…
    No, there was no credit posted.  Even if there had been, Citibank shouldn't reject an overpayment.  They should (and will) accept whatever you want to pay them.  I've intentionally overpaid (not through Quicken) in the past when I knew I was going to be traveling and might have difficulty making the next month's payment on time.  

I called Quicken support, the guy said he'd received several complaints about this problem and that it had been reported "up the chain" to the engineers, so hopefully they will fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  :smile:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Dave in SF No, there was no credit posted.  Even if there had been, Citibank shouldn't reject an overpayment." Some credit card companies only let you pay up to the current balance due; others let you prepay more than your current balance. I wasn't sure if Citi might have been one of the former. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭✭
    Me too. We aren't able to select min payment or balance from the drop down menu anymore. I have 2 accounts and the only accept the minimum when I try to send the balance.
  • chas170
    chas170 Member ✭✭
    I've had the same thing happen. One case was due to a credit posted after statement date....I understand that. The other was a rejection of full amount and payment accepted of only minimum amount. I just happened (luckily) to see this ...and thought it was my fault when I set up the payment. Looks like the error happened to me also.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭✭
    Problem seems to be solved as of this morning.
This discussion has been closed.